Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

clean brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: clean brass

A bioChemist pal of mine published this formula in VHP mag (2004-3 page 79)
In a 5 gal bucket mix:
<ul type="square">[*] 1 qt navel jelly or 110-130% polyphosphoric acid[*]1 gal water[*]1 gal Acetone[*]1 cup Mineral Spirits[/list]
notes: <ul type="square">[*]after cleaning rinse with warm water[*]use in well ventilated area[*]use nitrile glove (and respirator)[/list]
Old 04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

I will have to agree with abinok and 4ked I also use the Midway ( frankford arsenal ) vibratory cleaner and it's lasted 4 years with no problems! I clean brass for hours at the time due to filling it to the brim with cases and it has never complained and has good results! I use some of the polish that frankford arsenal makes to renew the media after a couple of cleanings and it works great also. B1g Bore that sounds like a good and fast solution if you have a lot of cases and with those BMG's I can Imagine it don't take long to fill up that bucket!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

I too use a vibratory cleaner but they don't clean the inside buildup. For that I soak the cases in apple cider vinegar for about 30 minutes then rince in cold running water. Really gets the crud out.
db
Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Cartridge Case Cleaning Solution

I have been using this formula for many years and it works just fine. It cleans and brightens the brass. Don't leave the brass in this mild acid solution for more than thirty minutes or you may find, it turns pink. The pink is the copper, after the zinc has been etched away. You will find the recipe with instructions, below.

Cartridge Cleaning Solution by T. Vincent
1 Cup of White Vinegar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon liquid dish washing detergent

Place all ingredients in a 1 gallon clear glass bottle and fill with Warm Water. If you plan to store the case cleaning solution, for any length of time. Place cellophane food wrap over the top before you put the cap on. This will prevent the vinegar from attacking the aluminum cap.

I use a 12 x 9 x 3 square plastic container that fits perfectly in the sink. Put about 100 cases in, add the case cleaning solution and agitate with your hands every five minutes, for about 15-30 minutes, depending how dirty they are. Rinse and dry on an old bath towel on the floor.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

The way I have been doing it for many years (I learned it from someone on Shooters.com), is to run it through with the laundry. I cut the leg off of an old pair of pants, tie the foot side shut with string, put in up to 50, 308 sized cases (or equivalant), and run it with the clothes (kill two birds with one stone). I do once after depriming, and a second time after sizing. They come out bright and shiney!