Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

clean brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

clean brass

How do you ? I've long used vibratory(actually I used a thumlers tumbler before that , and guess which one is still working) the vibes dont seem to last very long , anybody got a good one? So what about the IOSSO liquid cleaner ?, anyone use it ? tell me what you do to clean your cases. Thanks guys ,Jim
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: clean brass

I tried the Iosso.
Completly destroyed 50 fully prepped 300WM Federal cases.
I was not happy. Dipping the case in it, you can actually watch it work, cleaned up just like the directions said, and a couple of hours later the brass was a nasty red color. By the next morning they were almost black.
just my .02
Old 04-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

jimm,

I have two Midway vibrators. The first one has seen an incredible amount of brass and bullets. I ordered a second one to have when the first one quits. I guess I have been lucky because (the older one) I have been trying to destroy and it just won't have any of it. I leave the top off and the thing gets covered in dust, including the motor. I overload the thing and leave it on all night long.... I wish everything else that started making noise would last this long.

Jim
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I have some losso I've used a few times. I only dip the cases for about 1 minute. It's really a pain though, rinsing the cases off. That stuff doesn't wash off easily. Even after a good rinsing, when the cases dried I could see some white crap inside of them where I hadn't gotten all of it out.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

I thank each and every one of you!Probably the best question/answers I've had in a while . I mean it looks like a viable solution (no pun intended) but I would have been fried to have put my newly purchased and prepped Lapua cases in tha t stuff then come back in the morning [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Well, it does pay to ask especially when ther is such an abundance of experience as is here. Thanks again ,Jim Oh yeah , while we're at it, what do you use ? i.e. media/methods etc.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

I too use the el cheepo midway (frankfort arsenal) vibrating case "tumbler". I bought 2 expensive ones that didn't last too long, and I figure if they are going to die fast, they might as well be cheap. I use corncob media from the local sandblasting supplier (they use it to clean out sandblasting machines, and sell 50lbs for less than what most places sell 20 for). its treated with flitz, or mothers mag wheel polish (just make sure its the non-ammonia type) if its doing polishing duty. I leave it dry if im using it to take off the hornady one shot I use if im FL sizing. I leave primers in when im tumbling, and the decapping rod cleans out the flash hole nicely when I neck size. Pretty much no matter what im doing its gonna be in there for an hour or so.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Midway vibratory w/fine corn cob (never gets stuck in flash hole) and a squirt every once in a while of midway polishing liquid. 9 years and no problems. Lots of clean brass though.