Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Chronograph could not work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Chronograph could not work

We setup my chronograph on Friday and failed to get accurate readings. We got some very crazy numbers and the display was blinking which indicates something is not right. I think the culpret was the low angle of the sun, we setup about 2.00 pm which I thought would have about max light but the sun was pretty low on the southern horizon. Put in fresh batteries, tried with and without the diffusers. Even tried two 35P bodies but no good.
Anyone have any experience with similar situation. Bullets were .22 and .30 spitzers.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

My chrono refuses to work below around 32 degrees. I've built a small cardboard box for the head to sit in with a couple of those disposable hand warmers.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Just a wild guess here...

I'm figuring that it's fairly cold where you are right now. As AJ stated, the electronics might not be functioning well at low temps, but did you also consider condensation freezing on the sensors? If it was taken from a warm environment (truck, house, etc) and setup in low temps, condensation might be a factor.

If you can shoot something indoors (archery, pellet rifle) try testing it in warmer ambient temps to make sure it's working properly...then blame the cold when it won't work outside.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

Ian, I have had the same problem when the sun angle is low. I found a simiple solution is to place a deck umbrells next to the defussors and you are good to go. I test loads well below zero and temp has never been a problem for me when using the 35P. Dave
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Mine is the same way, once the sun starts going down it goes to crap!! but... my problems are usually later in the day (about 1-2 hrs before sunset)
I once had my chrony read extremely high numbers in the middle of the summer. I knew it was not right, because the numbers it was telling me, my bolt should have been welded shut! I changed the battery, and the next time and every time since it has seems to work fine.
??????????????????
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Ian, I usually try to beat the crowd to the range, so I get their at the crack of dawn. I have found that to be useless however, because as the sun rises, the chrony wont work. Same problem, the angle of the sun. After it gets some altitude to it, no problems. I'm sure there is a way to overcome that, but in my case, I'll just sleep in a little longer.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
daveosok

Try this.

Buy a led strip bar it can be powered by a 12 volt battery and be attached to your sky screens upper disfuser. This will provide light for all circumstances. A six volt battery would probably work too just less light. There are more led bars, that was just a quick search and idea.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/store...es/strip_w.jpg
Product Listing - BARS