Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Chronograph ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Chronograph ??

I am getting ready to start load developing for my 7mmWSM,and I plan on chronographing each shot just so I know what's going on during the process.I currently have a $100 chronograph(PRO CHRONO DIGITAL).I am not sure how accurate it is.Would I get more accurate readings from a more expensive chronograph like a CED($200),or would I just be paying for extra "whistles and bells"?I don't care about all the extra little features,I just want to get accurate readings.Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronograph ??

I have 2 choronographs, a Pact and the CED M2. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the Prochrono.
My Pact gives consistently higher readings. If you are only interested in 'relative' readings and are more interested in your velocity spreads, most Chrono's will work for you (just be consistent with your bullet placement over the sensors, same height/centered). If you want to know the actual velocity, I'd recommend the CED M2.
Your mileage may vary, but the velocities I get from the CED match my estimates from Quickload. The drop tables from Exbal using the CED velocities have always matched the drops I see in the field. So, in my experience, the CED is right on and the money. My Pact is 5% or so over.

Take some measurements with your Chrono and see if they match your 'expected' velocities and your field data (from a drops perspective).

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 02-15-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

AJ,thanks for the reply.My chrono alway's seems to read low,based on load data.I am just wondering if the SD's are as good or bad as it reads?I am thinking about upgrading to a CED,but wanted to hear from other people before I make the investment.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

If I wanted to see how well one was performing, I would use 2 of them in series on the same shot. That would not tell you which one was bad, but would tell you something is wrong.

5% off, thats a lot. 3000 vs 3150 has resulted in many new gun purchases.

Probably unpopular on this site, but I have the shooting chrony, 65 dollar model. Never checked for accuracy, so I assume its within .00001 fps of true
Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

KQ- I have a Pro Chrono Digital as well. Mine does not show the correct velocities but it will tell you if your load is consistent.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

With a little luck and you don't have to spend much! CLICK ME!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Would that be what is commonly referred to as a selfless plug?