Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Chrono Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chrono Question

"..definitely too close, that is even to close for the 223. I use 15 feet as my all around distance."

Definitely so. I carry a 15" length of (bright colored ribbon) in my range box to space my first screen from the bench for consistancy's sake. The further out we place the screens the more likely it is we will shoot them so consider that in your tripod placement.

Correcting for muzzle velocity is pointless, the difference is too low to bother with.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the replies, wish I had time to get out an shoot soon but I wont be able to make it out again until the 12, I was going to have a custom gun built thus spring and the gun smith was trying to talk me into a 7wsm because it has more consistent muzzle velocities than a 7mm but shortly after talking to him I find out im having my first kid and my wife said id have to wait on building a custom gun, is there any truth to the muzzle velocities being more consistent on the short mag, what would you guys consider for the bare minimum in variance for long range shooting, I think with my current load it will do just fine, I can shoot under 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards and last week I shot 6 rounds at 1042 yards and my group was about 9 inches vertical but about 2 feet wide due to the various wind speeds im still learning how to shoot in. Thus far im more than happy with my stock factory rifle
Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"
Correcting for muzzle velocity is pointless, the difference is too low to bother with.
You're right, but since I still have to punch it in the ballistic program I might
as well just add 9 ft/sec to the chronographed velocity for my 338 Edge. Now
those 3" difference at 1200 yards, though undetectable, I know they're not
putting me farther away from my objective.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Does using a muzzle break allow you to get the chrono closer?

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Everyone here seems to agree on the distance (my Chrony stand is set up at 12 feet)....Another thing to consider is bright sun and sunshine angles....I have had readings 150 to 200 fps apart on sunny days in the past with the only explanation being chrono error.....

The chincy sunscreens that came with my first chrony and now the second one don't always work when the sun shines wrong...For years I quit using it on real sunny days until I fashioned a much larger shade with a piece of 1-1/2" x 16" x 2 long styrofoam...It is translucent enough to let light in but you can actually "shade" the chrony at almost any light angle by lowering it close to the bullet path (it slides on 4 uprights that are fastened to the stand).....Cloudy days you don't need it at all....Readings have been very consistent with both cloudy & sunny day readings since i started using the "big shade"...

I don't have a picture of the stand with the uprights installed, but the picture enclosed will give you an idea that the 4 uprights fasten to the two horizontal frame members and are about 16" tall....The styro sheet slides up and down on them.....
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Chrono Question-chrony_ready.jpg