Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Chrono Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Chrono Question

I've been reloading for a little over 4 years now and have never shot thru a chrono until this week, in the past id just work up different loads until id find the most accurate load and never worried about how fast they shot, I purchased a Savage LRH 7mm a couple months ago and have found a couple loads that shoot great so I borrowed a friends chrono and was just going to use which ever load shot the fastest since they all group the same on paper, when I shot thru the chrono I had a variance of 300 fps between 9 shots of the same load, I measure out each load individually and know they are all the same, so I grabbed my AR15 and my bolt action 223 and shot them thru the chrono and only had a variance of 12fps between the 2 guns and I use the same process to load for all my guns, any ideas why my 7mm is so inconsistent
Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Chrono Question

how close to the chronograph were you shooting? A 300 fps variance seems far too extreme to me to be consistant POI. If I had to guess I would say that the chrony was being affected by muzzle blast from the bigger gun to get that big of a difference. When shooting my bigger guns ( well big to me anyways) I have had the chrony out as far as 30 ft to get a proper reading on it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I had it about 2 feet in front of the barrel guess I had it to close ill have to try it out farther thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrman View Post
I had it about 2 feet in front of the barrel guess I had it to close ill have to try it out farther thanks
At least 10 feet with the 7mm and that's close. I have a permanent shooting bench and the mount for the chronograph is 16 feet from the bench.

There is a formula to compute the velocity loss from muzzle to chrono. At 16 feet with my velocitys I needed to add 9.6 fps

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 AM

As said, definitely too close, that is even to close for the 223. I use 15 feet as my all around distance. Works for magnums on down and the add is consistent that way.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

If you are using a Chrony that folds in half, make sure both halves are level. If not, you will get erratic readings.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Yup, you're problem is not a problem!

These are my personal distances that work for me:

None Magnums ------- 10 ft
Magnums without Muzzle brake--------12 ft
Magnums with Muzzle brake----------15 ft

When I set up my chronograph, before I shoot the big boys I run some
0.22 LR bullets through to make sure all is fine. My chronograph will read my 0.22's and the pellets from an air gun at any of those distances.

Good luck!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!