Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

chrono,accuracyi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

chrono,accuracyi

I own an chrono that's Mabey
3 years old ,it has the computer readout on the machine below the v shaped whiss bangs . Anyway I have a deviation of 45 fps with my reloaded shellsi ,Mabey my chrono isn't as accurate as I want ,I want 20 fps deviaton or less .does anybody have any suggestions on really accurate chronos.thanks timmy.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: chrono,accuracyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
I own an chrono that's Mabey
3 years old ,it has the computer readout on the machine below the v shaped whiss bangs . Anyway I have a deviation of 45 fps with my reloaded shellsi ,Mabey my chrono isn't as accurate as I want ,I want 20 fps deviaton or less .does anybody have any suggestions on really accurate chronos.thanks timmy.
Oehler is making the 35p and it is considered the benchmark that all chronographs are
measured by and there service is second to none.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

The oheler is 575$ ,am I gona have to spend that much so iam not second guessing my old chrono.any suggestions on a bit cheaper one that's still great quality.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The oheler is 575$ ,am I gona have to spend that much so iam not second guessing my old chrono.any suggestions on a bit cheaper one that's still great quality.
I know that is a lot of money but you get what you pay for when you buy electronics.

There are cheaper ones and they work well most of the time but they don't seem to
last very long.

Most will run $250.oo+ and you can expect 3 to 5 years of use from most and then
you will have to replace it.

I have an old 35p Oehler that is 20+ years old and it is still accurate (Same load, Same
velocity) and back when I bought it it seamed like a lot of money ($230.oo) but some
of my friends have gone through 3 or 4 of the cheaper models and are allways asking
to verify there velocities on my chronograph.

It is a lot like the scopes , the cheaper scopes have to be replaced several times in the
life of most rifles but the better ones don't and end up being the cheepest in the long
run.

This is a wonderful tool and will save you lots of time,money,barrels and bad hunting
experances.

If you are /want to get into long range shooting/hunting it is almost a must.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

I think i will give them a call and chat with them to day.Might take a couple of paychecks to have enough but your proubly right ,if iam gona do this for the rest of my life i might as well do it right. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Shoot a 22LR through it. Those are pretty consistent.......

I've found, with the less expensive units, that actual velocity may be off a bit but shot to shot variations are fairly decent.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Ha, have not seen it IF it is there for less money and I have had several.

Buy the 35P and you will never regret it. No second guessing.

BH