Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group size?

Custom Rem700 build
6.5x47 Lapua
24" Bartlien 1in8 twist 5R
130gr Berger VLD
H4350
Fed 205M
COAL 2.800" to fit in magazine. This puts the bullets 0.010" off the lands.
I have been working up loads for this gun. It shows no pressure signs even with loads over listed max, but the loads start to compress and the point of impact shifts dramatically from the non-compressed loads, so I decided to stay away from the compressed loads.
Consider two loads:
39.0gr of H4350 yielded my best group of my life at 100 yards of 0.191" center to center measured for overall group size. This group had a vertical measurement of 0.169". The normal group size for this load is just under 0.330", with multiple groups of 0.329" and 0.328". It is very consistent. The vertical measurements are also very similar, always under 0.200".
The next load I have only tested just today. It was just a whim to try 39.1gr. Measured traditionally, it is a 0.389" group. However, the vertical measured just 0.045"!
I think I attached pics of the groups. First should be the 0.191", second should be the 39.1gr group with the small vertical, and the third is a more usual 39.0gr group.
I have not had access to a range with more than 100 yards, but will get to shoot at 300 and maybe 600 next week. Time and components are limited. Which would you load up?
Thanks,
Ken
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group size?-image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Re: Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group siz

The 39.1gr group with small vertical.
Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group size?-image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 AM

Re: Choice of long range test loads based on overall group size or vertical group siz

My best group yet, 0.191".
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 AM

The upload feature is tricky on a phone...
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Me personally...I would stick with the 39.0 gr. load. The real test will be at 200 yds and beyond to see if the groups hold at distance. There's no shame in either of the those groups. On the other hand...it may not hurt to try them both at 200 yds+ to see what they do.

Good shootin.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Hey man, just FYI, but if you use a Photobucket account, you can just paste the image (IMG) code and you won't have to use the upload feature, which works great, considering most websites have a limited number of uploads you can use. If you use a smartphone, you can download the free app, and a photobucket account is free, as well. It's also faster, and your photos don't have to be cropped to a certain size or anything. I have found that the Photobucket route works best for me.

Also, nice lookin groups! I'd say you've found your barrel's node. I'd stick with that load, if it were me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

If you want to shoot longrange sometime then I would test any load that you think has potential at 300 yards.

That's some good looking groups though!