Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Checking Maximum Case Overall Length Methods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

Checking Maximum Case Overall Length Methods

I have found numerous postings on the "best way to check OAL" Some have cut slits in cases measure with a cleaning rod... ETC

This was my method last night,

I took a Sized and De-Primed Case.

I filed the inside of the case with a chainsaw file till I could get a bullet to slide in and out barehanded.

I then used my crimp die to tighten it to my liking.

Then I placed a bullet in the case at its longest possible length to still sit square,

I tipped my rifle toward the ground dropped the assembled round in. Cycled the bolt and pulled, out a set to max length round. When I pulled the round out I carefully held the round straight as my ejector puts a lot of side pressure and was pushing the bullet out of square.

Depending on the Bullet My OAL was between 2.722 and 2.709

I did each bullet 3 times to make sure I was actually true, and I did have to tightened the case a little after 3-4 tries to keep the round from sticking in the rifling.

I wrote the Maximum length of the round on the box of each type of bullet. I put the "shaved case" on a shelf with sharpie to use it everytime I get a new slug to try.

Any other methods out there this took about 30 mintues to check 5 different types of bullets including making the case.