Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Chasing speed - am I being greedy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chasing speed - am I being greedy?

To the OP, I always like to see what safe max of powder is in all of my rifles, so keep stuffing. When you find out what the rifle will take, back off maybe a grain, grain and a half, then start monkeying with seating depth. That's my preferred method, though, it doesn't always work.

As to primers, I've heard and read where some guys get great results by using regular primers in magnum cases due to a "slow start" and an "even burn up the column." I've also heard that once you have a case that has 60 grains of powder, it's time to try a mag primer.

I've used magnum primers in smaller cases like a 270 and have had great results. I've never entertained using a standard primer in a mag case. I have no plans to do so.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

delete
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't tried Br2 primers, but 215M consistently sucks things right down in my 7mag.

You might want to take a 2nd look at 70-71gr gr if you do try Fed match primers. that's where I'm runnin it at, as for being hard on the barrel, just keep the barrel cool, 7mag isn't over bore enough to have a short barrel life if you don't let get past luke warm. Besides a shot out barrel just an excuse to get a really good one
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I have got close to 3200fps with 73grns H1000 in brass (win) that had several firings on it using 162amaxs touching the lands in a 24" pipe with no pressure, groups were good, but I tried 210 and 215m primers, and br2s and 250s, but the es was horrible. I ended up with 67.5grns H4831sc and 210Ms in fed brass for 3032fps avg 12fps es, 3/8moa or smaller, give it a try, start at about 64grns, somes accuracy and es fall off bad with H1000 and 24" barrels.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

I use mag primers for magnums and standard primers for standard cartridges......Has worked out real well. I learned the hard way that shooting groups at 4-900 yards answers more important questions than the chronograph ever did. For me personally: I do not care what max is, If I can repeatably stack em on each other at 800............I am done developing my load........... If my chrony says it is fast, slow or perfectly consistent with an ES of 3fps.............none of it matters If I can't hit my target. If you have the accuracy you seek and you brass is holding up.................. be happy and shoot. My .02
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
I use mag primers for magnums and standard primers for standard cartridges......Has worked out real well. I learned the hard way that shooting groups at 4-900 yards answers more important questions than the chronograph ever did. For me personally: I do not care what max is, If I can repeatably stack em on each other at 800............I am done developing my load........... If my chrony says it is fast, slow or perfectly consistent with an ES of 3fps.............none of it matters If I can't hit my target. If you have the accuracy you seek and you brass is holding up.................. be happy and shoot. My .02
+1 Could not have said it better.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

I guess the answer best suited would be there is absolutely nothing wrong with chasing velocity if all else remains the same! As for primers, it is better to match the heat of a primer with the type and charge weight of powder being used, not by the size of the case or what it says on it, for instance I use WLRP or mag primers with almost all ball powders because of a cleaner more consistant burn, or if its not 20* or colder out and I'm using 4350 in a 300 wm or wby I use standard primers for consistancy because Imr and H 4350 are easy to ignite, I do not care if it says mag on the case head. Just some random thoughts.