Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

CCI Primers not firing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: CCI Primers not firing

I've shot thousands upon thousands of CCI 200's and 250's without a single misfire. I think Broz has the answer. I think you need to look at something other than the primers.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramag45 View Post
Thanks Jeff, not to say it couldnt be...this is out of a New Mcwhorters Custom 338 RUm Stiller action...maybe 200 rounds thru it...Ill clean it up and see what happens...Thanks
Does it have a light weight firing pin? If so I'll give odds. Mine was a new build from Score High rifles. When the first one didn't fire I though to myself, I just had my first "bad primer" in 30 years of loading Wrong!!

Here is the thread I started about it.

Primer strike issue 700 Rem

Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

I would Google "CCI Primer Misfires" and look thru what you get. It seems to be a somewhat known issue that CCI primers are made from a harder alloy than other primers and can cause issues in some guns. Seems USPSA pistol shooters are well aware of this.

Check this link: CCI or Federal Primers?.

Your issue may well be a light firing pin and weak spring. But why does that same same pin and spring work with other primers? Seems to be a fact that CCI primers can have issues in some rifles.

Sounds like you have found the utopian load for the gun and changing spring/pin may well be what will make the gun shoot it consistently. But in the end, it is the CCI primers that are out of spec, not your spring or pin...

Some folks have shot CCI primers for thousands of years and never had an issue. Some cannot get them to work in a particular gun at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Does it have a light weight firing pin? If so I'll give odds. Mine was a new build from Score High rifles. When the first one didn't fire I though to myself, I just had my first "bad primer" in 30 years of loading Wrong!!

Here is the thread I started about it.

Primer strike issue 700 Rem

Jeff
I took one of the misfires and loaded it in another 338 RUM still didnt go off...and loaded a different misfire, and it did fire...really strange, I will check the spring...are they easy to change
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramag45 View Post
I took one of the misfires and loaded it in another 338 RUM still didnt go off...and loaded a different misfire, and it did fire...really strange, I will check the spring...are they easy to change
You need a $30 tool. Unless someone has a way to do it with out?

Jeff
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Before i even clicked on this thread my first thought was exactly what Broz said, either too light of a pin or spring.
Maybe it is my background in single action revolvers but most primer issues can be traced back to lightened mainsprings in them, and this transfers over to rifles as well. I have never had a single problem with many thousands of CCI primers out of my guns, but i maintain that all of my hunting guns MUST have stock weight springs in them, there are plenty of other things to do to a gun, but reducing relyablity is not on my list! Add a light spring/pin and the fact that CCI cups are known to be harder, and it could just be enough to make life tough.

Now, this may turn out to be a totally different problem for you, but that is my 2 cents on lighter springs.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
You need a $30 tool. Unless someone has a way to do it with out?

Jeff
And that is..?..thanks