Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cases streatching - headspace?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: cases streatching - headspace?

Amen Bart, pretty cases have never won a match or killed a b&c for anyone.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I agree Bart - I've just been given some old dirty brass that may need little polish, and maybe just cleaning. I'll try that first.

But I think it's imperative that brass and chamber wall adhere to one another very well. Taking the brunt of the recoil from the bolt face.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Those smooth surfaces permit more case body sliding back wards pushing the case head harder against the bolt face. And the result may be more banana shaping of the case.

I don't need my chamber walls and cartridge cases to win beauty contests. Making 'em shiny and bright does nothing to the bullets' performance down range. Besides, nobody ever sees them when they're used to do their thing shooting a bullet out of the barrel.
While I understand and respect your opinion, I am a highly OCD person, so to me bright and shiny clean brass represents cleanliness, just like a nice polished chamber. To put dirty or stained brass in a nice polished chamber is kinda like getting a shower, and putting on dirty clothes... And putting slightly dirty brass in a dirty chamber will eventually cause a gum-up issue and difficult extraction. That's how I would imagine it. Not saying I'm right, just saying that's how I feel about it.

I still think the OP's problem is from a generous factory chamber, with a slightly too large or out of balance reamer at the factory.

I am about positive that my issue is that the factory chamber is either A) slightly oversized, or B) was bored too deep allowing slightly excess headspace, causing my case/head separation issue.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Brass oxidation and even tarnish is not "dirt"; a clean case is clean, even for OCD, and it gains nothing from glitter. I cleaned my cases long before tumblers were marketed and still do. I got one of the first vib tumblers available and still have it, now on it's third motor tho.

It was interesting to play with pretty case polish jobs for awhile but that wore off after a few years and I went back to clean 15 years ago. I quit using polish and now use diatomaceous earth in my media, same as the ammo factories do. And my reloaded ammo looks exactly like factory, not with a super shiney plasticy "yellow chrome" look. Whatever floats your boat is fine but ....if shooting oxidized or tarnished cases could "gum-up" a chamber most rifles and handguns couldn't be fired at all because most never experience a purty, shiney case in their whole life. ?