Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cases streatching - headspace?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

cases streatching - headspace?

I trimmed all my cases to the correct length and then loaded for testing loads. 3 powders, 3 shots per load, and 6 groups not as high as the book maximum.

90 % of the cases including my lowest loads will have to be trimmed again.

I have never see this before. It's my brothers gun which hasn't been preforming satisfactorily. No groups responded as I would expect so I quit with 15 of the 54 cartridges un-shoot.

I was suspecting a action to wood stock issue so I took out the clip and will try again tomorrow.

But the case stretch - could that be a head space problem?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: cases streatching - headspace?

if this is new brass it can be made fairly small to be sure it will fit any chamber .

if it is used brass I'd say you are over sizing it . you need to have a way to measure a fired case then adjust your die so you are only pushing the shoulder back about .002 . even if the chamber is cut on the large side you can adjust your die to properly size the brass .

I use a RCBS precision mic for measuring my fired case . I use the redding competition shell holder set to be able to easily adjust my sizing die . Jim
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

good advice about the setting of the dies.
Give that a try but, if that dosn't work contact forster and get a nogo gauge. The nogo is simple to use just drop it in the action and close the bolt, if the bolt closes then your head space is out to lunch and needs to be turned back.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

I'm having the same problem with mine with the exception that mine is shooting 1/4" groups. It's a target rifle that I trim brass to 2.007 and after firing the brass measures 2.017. I use a body die each firing and only bump shoulders .001 measured on a headspace gauge. I can't figure out why I'm having to size so much either because the load shows 0 pressure signs and is 1.5gr under max. Interested in seeing replies.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
I'm having the same problem with mine with the exception that mine is shooting 1/4" groups. It's a target rifle that I trim brass to 2.007 and after firing the brass measures 2.017. I use a body die each firing and only bump shoulders .001 measured on a headspace gauge......
I can. Shoulder length is only part of the issue, it's probable your chamber is quite a bit larger in diameter than your size die so the body gets squeezed during sizing and that metal does go forward. That's when neck sizing is actually worth something.

Within reason, headspace should be meaningless to a competent handloader; make cases to fit the chamber and the ammo will be perfect.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Every rimless or belted bottleneck case I've fired is a few thousandths shorter (head to mouth, or case length) after firing. Fired case shoulders are set back 1 to 2 thousandths each time.

Every one got longer when full length resized.

Each case's shoot size, reload cycle grew the case about .001". So they were trimmed back to my spec every ten cycles.

I think everyone elses cases do the same thing. But measure the case length before it's reloaded, after it's fired then again after it's full length sized.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Just body sized the brass and bumped shoulders .0015. The case grew .003 in length.