Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cases sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2006, 05:07 PM

cases sticking

I've been having a problem with the cases "sticking" after firing a round.About 20 seconds after firing and the cases cool a little,they come out fine.Both rifles are 338/06,brass is '06 necked up to338.Since both rifles have "generic" chambers and not custom cut for the brass,I'm wondering if the sticking is caused from the '06 brass necks being thinned and expanding too much.My thought is to go to 35 whelen brass and neck it down to keep the appropriate neck thickness.Also,I'm not showing pressure signs such as case head expansion,cratered primers,or extractor marks.The brass used is new and has been annealed after sizing.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: cases sticking

You might try a radical cleaning of the chamber. I don't mean to insult you, but I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Use a 1/4" wooden dowel, cut about 12" long. Cut a slot in one end. Cut a 1" x 3" strip of fine emery cloth and place it in the slot of the dowel rod. Gently turn/work it into the chamber and spin it by hand or slowly with a variable speed drill to break the glaze and crud that may have built up. Clean thoroughly when finished. It sounds crude, but it works. I have not had a problem with sticking brass, since.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

Just don't "high polish" your chamber.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

it sounds to me like you may have a groove cut into your chamber. I've seen it a couple of times you can even see the groove in the brass or chamber but it could be their.

It happens when the chamber reamer is runtino the barrel and the smith trys to either make too deep of cuts or two long. what happens is that you get a tiny chip that was cut free and it gets hung up on the reamer then wears a small groove in the chamber.
Thats why the few barrels I've chambered I'll run an undersized drill into the chamber then make my final cut with the reamer , making sure not to run it in to deapbefore backing it out to let the coolant flush it off..

Luckly the 30-06 case hasa good bit of taper so you may be able to set the barrel back a little bit and have the chamber recut.

thats iff the chamber has a groove in it