Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Caseing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

Caseing question

Ok i have been loading for years and have never come across this until now. In my 300 WSM i have been useing the Lee collet dies and they loaded fine for the first 4 loads. Now they are very hard to chamber. I bought a full lengh sizing die and full lenght sized them but they still are hard to bolt. Anybody know what else i can do to get these where i can shoot them again. Thanks for any help
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Re: Caseing question

Are you confident the die is set properly and is bumping the shoulder back?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

I have only ever loaded for a friends 300WSM, it was very difficult to size after a few firings as you've discovered.

Are you 'camming over' on the press?

I found that you had to screw the die in until it made contact with the shell holder and then raise the ram and screw the die in another 1/4 turn to size the cases enough for them to chamber correctly. I had several attempts until I got the bolt to close with little resistance.

PFL sizing was practically useless, and they had to be FL sized due to the expansion just above the web, the brass is very hard in this area and tends to 'bounce back' after sizing.
Give it a go in your rifle, FL size gradually deeper until you get the bolt to close with little resistance.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
Ok i have been loading for years and have never come across this until now. In my 300 WSM i have been useing the Lee collet dies and they loaded fine for the first 4 loads. Now they are very hard to chamber. I bought a full lengh sizing die and full lenght sized them but they still are hard to bolt. Anybody know what else i can do to get these where i can shoot them again. Thanks for any help
Normally after 3 or 4 firings or hard loading I anneal and then full length size.

This helps save the brass and helps the sizing process.

If it is a hard loaded round I will sometimes discard the brass just to be safe,

J E CUSTOM