Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

case welding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

case welding?

I have been told never to keep many loaded rounds around because handloads will case weld. I see that you guys load large numbers of cases for varmiting, is case welding a concern? Is it a myth, I have nver seen it?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Eddybo; I'm for sure going to learn something on this thread, I don't even know what it is!

Thanks, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

The only thing I can say is...HUH? I have some boxes of pistol ammo (handloads, what else?) that have been around 3-5 years. No problems. My dad has some reloads older than many of the folks on this site. He lives on the Oregon coast so conditions are less than optimum. Chamber them, pull the trigger...BANG!!!

Like specweldtom, maybe I will learn something I should know here.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

I've been able to braze and solder them but they melt every time I've tried welding.;)

Whatchew talkin' about, huh?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

I might have to eat humble pie but I think someone is pulling your chain, I handload huge amounts and I have never heard of it. Logic tells me that all I do is use my hands and not machines to load cases so why wouldn't high volume manufacturers have the same problem, if it existed????
Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

eddybo:

There's more than one kind of case welding I've heard of, but it seems like what you're talking about has to do with what some people refer to as when a seated bullet "adheres" to a case neck over time, thus increasing the resistance required to start and thus move the bullet out of the case neck and into it's flight down the barrel.

I do know that I've read of some benchresters seating a bullet long, if they load them very long before a match. Then just before shooting them, or just before the match, they give them the final seating, breaking the initial tension between the bullet and the neck and thus they have a more consistent neck to bullet friction/tension. Evidently they feel that this gives them the most consistent neck tension possible.

Does it happen??? Probably to a degree. Does it help to seat long and then re-seat before shooting??? If you're anal and it makes you happy, then it helps. Is it necessary for a normal hunting rifle??? I doubt it. Have I done it??? Yup
Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I have been told never to keep many loaded rounds around because handloads will case weld. I see that you guys load large numbers of cases for varmiting, is case welding a concern? Is it a myth, I have nver seen it?
It is a myth. I have ammo that was loaded over 30 years ago, and it is fine, and the bullets are not stuck to the necks.

The benchrest community is filled with voodoo, wives tales, and "secret handshakes"... and bogus science.

Think of all the 50 year old military surplus ammo that is shot every day... none of it is welded.

The problem with these myths is that they get repeated on the net (or a gun rag) and a new generation believes it, even though they don't even know what they believe... they just repeat it over and over... and then get to the point where they defend it in debates like they knew what they were talking about.

It is an benchrest shooters urban myth.

LRH member #23