Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case Trimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Case Trimming

Rookie question! Do you trim the case after each firing regardless if you going to FL or neck size or just stay within min and max case length?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case Trimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendero72 View Post
Rookie question! Do you trim the case after each firing regardless if you going to FL or neck size or just stay within min and max case length?
I used to not bother, but I've read on trimming a bit, and I've gone to trimming on every firing lately. I can watch my growth better and set my dies up as I go if something is wonky. I've got most cal's I load down to .003" or less growth fl sized per firing. You will get more uniform case lengths if you do this. I don't bother to turn necks or weigh brass but trim every shot and uniform pockets, go figure.....
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Gold Member

I use the lee hand trimmer, so I trim every time. I waited once until the cases got to over max length and it was a chore to trim them all.
When I trim each time; usually there is such a miniscule amount of growth, that it takes seconds to trim to minimum length.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I shall trim after each firing!!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

You don't need to trim -unless you need to.
NS'd only cases should never need it beyond initial preps, as they aren't changing after fireforming -until you FL size.

Timming is something people do alot of, because it's easy. They fixate on 'book max', because that's easy(but wrong). They FL size, because they think it's easy, yet it directly leads to a bunch of trimming(and other issues).
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
You don't need to trim -unless you need to.
NS'd only cases should never need it beyond initial preps, as they aren't changing after fireforming -until you FL size.

Timming is something people do alot of, because it's easy. They fixate on 'book max', because that's easy(but wrong). They FL size, because they think it's easy, yet it directly leads to a bunch of trimming(and other issues).
I don't punch paper with my rifles other than putting around and sighting in, load development, etc. I hunt with them, so I want absolute reliability and I do not care if I loose a reload or three from my rounds as a consequence. I'd rather trim and have the other "issues". I don't even own a neck sizing die. I trim .010" under and keep them there.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

These cases are for my 7 mag. Min case trim is 2.490 and Max is 2.500. Generally the case will stretch .002 per firing. I was thinking that once I reach 2.495 I would keep them trimmed at that length just to have more neck to grip the bullet. Does that make any sense?