Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

case trim pilot correct size but inside case dimensions too small.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: case trim pilot correct size but inside case dimensions too small.

Partisan, I had to re-read Mike cr's first post twice before it clicked. My mind was on track with a ''labeled'' .338 pilot, not an actual measuerd .338 .
Sounds like you got a bum deal with your die set. I use ''magical'' Redding F/L dies and I love em for my hunting and practice applications. I dont shoot benchrest, tho Id like to learn enough about the finer details of loading to give it a whirl someday. Some peoples advise seem harsh at times even when theyre trying to help. I guess some folks have been loading B/R for so long that they expect all of us to be on the same level when they give advise. I know for sure Im not on a B/R loading level yet. Dont take it personal. Your doin ok. Call Redding and solve the die expander ball issue properly so as not to void any waranty. And why a 338 pilot would measuer an actual .338 is beyond me, but youve recieved some advise from some very knowledgable handloaders on things you can do to remedy that.
Look at the whole thing as a hurdle that your almost past, and chalk it up to a very steep learning curve due to an unhered of amount of problembs all at once. Thats way out of the norm. Hang in there. Youll get it solved with all the advise youve recieved from these guys.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"