Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case stuck in die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Case stuck in die

I went to resize once fired brass for my 338 ultra and my case got stuck in the die. I put plenty of lube on it and it still got stuck. I have a back up die so I set it up and this time lubed the hell out of a case and this one got stuck too. I have never had this problem before. What could be causing this and is there any way to get the shell out?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

What type of lube are you using?

If you are using a spray type lube, Hornady, Dillion, etc. You need to let the carrier liquid evoprate off the case prior to sizing it. Otehr wise it will get stuck. Doesn't make sense I know but if the lube is still in the carrier liquid it will get stuck.

I am curious if the case was harder than normal to size? If so why didn't you stop and lower the ram and check the cases progress?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Yes I was using Hornady one shot lube. I am done using spray lube for sure after this. This was my first sizing of once fired ever for this gun so I did not know if it was harder than normal. I got one case through and it was a little hard so I added extra lube to trhe second. It felt a little hard so I stopped to back off and thats when it stuck. It must be the lube. I just ordered a stuck case remover.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

I use Imperial sizing die wax Try that Because I've had them get stuck a little with the one shot spray case lube but never the waxs.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Spray lube is good stuff, I use Dillon. But you must follow the instructions. It says to let it dry. Just for your own purpose. Spray some cases then let them dry for about 5-10 minutes. After they are dry spray another case. Then feel how the just sprayed one feels compared to the one that dried. You will feel the difference.

Now to get the stuck ones out. Do you have any taps? Now this is just to get you out in a pinch but here it goes. If you have a tap that is a bigger OD that the primer pocket ID. First drill the appropriate size hole in the case base. Then tap the hole. Then find a bolt for the threads that is about 2" or so long.

With the die mounted upside down in the press. Place a socket over it. The side that snaps into the socket wrench facing up. The purpose of the socket is to give you a space for the case to move into while you are tightening the bolt. Then you take your bolt with a washer on it through the socket and screw it into the hole you tapped in the case base. Then screw the bolt into the case. As you continue to screw the bolt into the case it will start to pull the case out of the die and into the free space in the socket.

I hope I explained it well. If not let me know. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

I use RCBS case lube, in over 30 years of reloading I have never stuck a case. It also has the advantage of being water soluble and it only takes a very thin film.
James
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

I've sized hundreds of .300 Ultra cases using the Hornady One Shot. One shot doesn't mean that is what it takes. I spray my cases from all angles and get some in the neck. When the can says wait 60 seconds or so, do it. I suspect if you leave the cases for an extended period of time, the lube dissipates. Never a stuck case here. mtmuley