Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case sorting???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case sorting???

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Weight sorting depends on how far you are going to shoot. If you shoot under 500 yards it's not so critical, 2-3 grain difference is ok, but for further than that, I would sort into 1 grain groups.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

weight sorting brass will give you brass that weighs the same. it has little to do with the same size cavity inside which is what people are looking for when weight sorting brass. i don't believe the inside cavity size has anything to do with accuracy either but it's a feel good so go ahead and do it if it makes you feel more accurate.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
weight sorting brass will give you brass that weighs the same. it has little to do with the same size cavity inside which is what people are looking for when weight sorting brass. i don't believe the inside cavity size has anything to do with accuracy either but it's a feel good so go ahead and do it if it makes you feel more accurate.
Differences in inside cavities give you different pressures, therefore different velocities, therefore vertical dispersion at long range. You say you don't "believe" the inside cavity has anything to do with accuracy... Well, I know it does, but only at long range.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I had about 300 cases and I sorted them into six groups. The two extreme groups of the lightest and heaviest had about 5 or six cases in each and I discarded them. The remaining cases were in four groups of about 70 cases each.

You have to weigh about 50 cases or so to find an average value then decide upon where the groups seem to break and what amount of difference you are willing to tolerate in a group.
BB,
When in the process do you weigh the cases? I was wondering about weighing before or after trimming, etc. if that is enough to affect the weight sorting? Thanks.

Gordon
Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Before trimming.

Think about things this way.

The amount of brass in a case is the reason for its weight. If you put it through a die it comes out more or less the same dimension on the outside. So the weight must be on the inside. There are two places the extra weight can be- in the case head where it really does not matter much or in the sidewalls where it does matter. With a constant weight of powder the volume it is contained within affects muzzle velocity.

All I look for in the process is the weird and goofy case.

If you doubt that a case that produces a flyer one time will produce a flyer the second time try the same experiment I did and mark them and randomly fire them in a scored long range competition. When you drop three point on your score with one shot of a marked case you will become a believer.

Really good quality brass like Lapua is not likely to need sorting. Buying high quality brass is a good investment. Unfortunately RWS does not import raw brass into the United states anymore but you can buy their loaded ammunition on sale at Midway for same price as the raw brass used to cost. A sad result of the mass hysteria from 9/11.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

First I want to thank you guys for helping the new-bee's out.

Second what is your guys take on Norma Brass. Lapua doesn't make 300 win mag, or at least not that I can find. I have Federal that I use now, and just got a batch of Winchester. I was going to see how my rifle like the Winchester, but just wanted to throw out the Norma for debate.