Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case sorting???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Case sorting???

I was woundering how everyone out there goes about sorting there cases. I always sort by brand, lot # if possible, and times shot. I more or less would like a range on the different weight that I should sort them by. Should they be sorted in batches of 2-3 grain differences, or should I be looking at a tighter tolerence?

Also is there anything else I should be looking for? This is a factory hunting rifle, and I got my answer for the neck turning question I had.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case sorting???

1. Thickness & thickness variance as measured at mid necks with a ball mic.
2. H20 capacity once cases are fully fireformed.

Brand don't matter, but of course you should never mix brands.
Weight don't matter, actual capacity does.

Why would you mix brands, or concern yourself with fired #?
Buy all the best new brass you will ever need, cull out all but the best of it, and never concern yourself with current issues again..
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

+1 on what mike says (all of it). Put out the brass work, cash, time etc early, get a good reliable setup, then focus on actually shooting and put your mind to rest for everything else.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
1. Thickness & thickness variance as measured at mid necks with a ball mic.
2. H20 capacity once cases are fully fireformed.

Brand don't matter, but of course you should never mix brands.
Weight don't matter, actual capacity does.

Why would you mix brands, or concern yourself with fired #?
Buy all the best new brass you will ever need, cull out all but the best of it, and never concern yourself with current issues again..
Mixxed brands come from some of my hunting buddies that don't reload, and why waiste once fired brass. As for the number of times fired. I keep them marked in a bag so that when I start to reload that batch if I start to see signs of headspace seperation (on the inside with a feeler gauge), or the primer pocket gets loose, I will take an even better look at that whole batch. It is more of a check and balence for me. Might be a waiste of time, but it is what I do. Plus I get my kds out there to help me "make D bullets", and we get to spend some time togeather.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Mikecr---Would you please respond to us as to why you made that statement on not bothering with times fired and reloaded? I'm new to reloading and will be doing it strictly for hunting purposes, so that will reduce number of reloads in a case as compared to bench or competitive shooting. However, everything I've read before finally taking the plunge mentions keeping track of stuff like that for reasons similar to what Firearrow mentioned. Thanks!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

There are reloading sites out there where cutting corners, taking shortcuts, and saving every penny is likely encouraged. This should NOT be one of them..

I say this because you're unlikely to produce 'long range' accuracy from mixed brass brands, using a single reloading setup. There are already too many challenges to overcome, even with all components matching.
So throwing absolutely mismatched brass into this abstract, is a very poor plan IMO.

Seems like thread starter was soliciting a better plan, but without intent to act on one.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Here you go! Enjoy guys!

YouTube - I want to learn how to reload. North Texas Rifle Precision