Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

case re-sizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: case re-sizing

I neck size with a fl die. Ime your case will not stretch longer than your chamber,unless it has excessive slop in your bolt head. May take a few firings before they are fully fire formed but once they are you should not have to bump shoulders for quite some time. You may have to anneal a little more often neck sizing with a fl die but that is much cheaper than redding neck size die
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknzr1 View Post
those that are neck sizing... arnt they changing the case volumes each time as the case gets fired and grows. therefore changing how the load reacts or shoots?

When neck sizing, case to bullet tension is all you are changing if you seat the bullet to the same
depth.

Case sizing ''does'' effect case volume. but if you work up your loads the volume will be the same if you size the same each time.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Might want to familiarise yourself with the term "body die " from Redding.
X2!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

The best advice I can give is try to find someone in your area who has been reloading for a while and ask them to mentor you.

That being said, it sounds like you want to go from 1st grade straight to college. Start out with the basics. Die setup, case prep, seating bullets. You not only need to how to do it, you need to understand WHY you're doing it. I know how to play chess but my boss' 10 year old grandson kicks my butt every time because Bill has taught him why he's making a move. It doesn't bother me a bit, but then I've never seen a chess piece blow up and hurt anyone either.

FL size your brass, if you're dead set on not over working the brass spend the $30 and get a Lee collet die. Start with mid-range loads and work up. Examine the brass from each load. Keep a log book on how each load shoots and how it affects the brass.

Not tying to preach, just want you to be safe.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

well, i found my answer.
the first measurment of my fired brass was wrong. im guessing i measured the cases with the fired primer still in them.
so the cases are expanding properly. to 2.1200 so i will full length size if i need to, otherwise bump them back .001 each firing.