Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case Preperation Q;

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case Preperation Q;

Oh yeah ,

I forgot the final ingredient , 5. old man with less than the best eyes , rods or cones or otherwise [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

your friend , Jim

Jim
Old 01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if you have ever experienced your brass sticking in you sizing die. It happened to me in my 7 ultra after I re-sized/knocked the primer out. It tore the rim of the case when I pulled it back out.
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Gold Member

CentrePunch, why do you weigh before prepping? Unless you take the exact same amount of brass off of every case, you will wind up with cases that don't weigh the same.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

Skip,
The main reason for trimming to length is for location of the neck turning mandrel which buts up against the case mouth to determinethe length of cut.

I neck turn because i use neck-bushing dies which will only size correctly and hold the same neck tension if the necks are all the thickness.

If you want to go that way, in view of what the other guys have said, you will need a primer pocket uniformer and a flash-hole de-burrer, i uniform the flash-holes with a normal drill bit.

I use K&M services, products. i dont think they have a website but Sinclair international carry everything you need
http://www.sinclairintl.com/index.html

As Jimm says lapua do not make 25-06 brass, my buddy Brit forms his from Lapua 30-06 brass with excellent results.
With carefull adjusting of your die you can neck down to create a shoulder which is the exact length for your chamber, but an intermediate sizing to 270 would be reccomended first.

Ian.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Doc,
I agree with you, i weigh before prep to cull any cases that are grossly out of weight range of the rest.
Also if i start with a batch of cases that weigh the same after prepping my variables will not be as widely spread as with non segregated by weight cases.

Ian.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

yes i have had this happen to me. oddly enough, it was a 7 ultra also and it did the same thing!