Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case Neck Run-Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Silver Member

Case Neck Run-Out

Ok guys I will try to give you all the details you may need without killing you with the ones you dont.
My Dad had a Rem 700sps in 300WM. We got tired of trying to get it to shoot so we bought him a sendero. We had 100 pieces of WIN brass (shot twice) I had just learned of the value of checking for neck run out then bullet run out. Since we changed guns i had to FL size the brass. Had FL all the pieces when they were brand new then had just used the lee collet neck die after that.(the FL die is also a lee) The problem is when i FL sized the brass the neck came out in way worse shape than it went in. It was +/- .002 when it went in and came out .005-.007 out of round. I made sure the die was set up according to the directions even tried running them back through the neck sizer and some were corrected a little but never where they needed to be. It may just be the quality of the lee die. I trimmed this brass so that is not the problem. What do you guys think?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Case Neck Run-Out

My guess would be the expander ball is causing you some problems. Try resizing without it and see if that helps. However, this might change your neck tension, so take some measurements as you go.
I don't check runout on any of my ammo, and I never use an expander ball on my dies.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

"... when i FL sized the brass the neck came out in way worse shape than it went in. It was +/- .002 when it went in and came out .005-.007 out of round."

Not real sure I understand what you mean about being "out of round". But, with that die, it sure ain't because of the Lee Collet's expander. Nor is it likely to have anything else specific to the die, IMHO. Sounds more like a problem with the cases themselves.

No seater can make straight ammo if the case necks are bent. No sizer can make staight necks if they were originally formed improperly, at least not without some preperation work. Sounds to me as if you need a bit of light neck turning to even things up so the die has a chance!

I believe the Lee Collet neck die is the best available, at any price, for factory chambers.

Last edited by boomtube; 11-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"... when i FL sized the brass the neck came out in way worse shape than it went in. It was +/- .002 when it went in and came out .005-.007 out of round."

Not real sure I understand what you mean about being "out of round". But, with that die, it sure ain't because of the Lee Collet's expander. Nor is it likely to have anything else specific to the die, IMHO. Sounds more like a problem with the cases themselves.

No seater can make straight ammo if the case necks are bent. No sizer can make staight necks if they were originally formed improperly, at least not without some preperation work. Sounds to me as if you need a bit of light neck turning to even things up so the die has a chance!

I believe the Lee Collet neck die is the best available, at any price, for factory chambers.
You must have misread my post. I did not say it was the collet neck die that i was having trouble with, I said it was the standard lee FL die. I have a RBCS case measuring tool. I measured the consintricity(sp) of the necks before i FL sized them +/- .002 and then again after +/-.007.

Trueblue you be on to something. And I realize you dont measure case or bullet runout. But if i remember correctly you are a fan of checking neck wall thinkness for consistent neck tension by correcting any problems in wall thickness aren't you also addressing any problems with neck run out?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
It was +/- .002 when it went in and came out .005-.007 out of round.
Presume you're speaking of run-out. If eliminating the expander hasn't located the problem, try another die. If the expander is the problem, use your run-out gauge and straighten the stem. Since you're getting good results with your collet die, I doubt that the press is causing the problem. Some type of lube inside of the case neck will reduce somewhat the expander's influence, but it won't correct your problem.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

My advice would be to buy a new lot of brass. My favorite in this caliber is Norma.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
My advice would be to buy a new lot of brass. My favorite in this caliber is Norma.
I'm a little confused by this suggestion. If my brass was in good shape before i FL resized it and it came out messed up, why would new brass be any different?