Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case Lube and tumbling questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Case Lube and tumbling questions

[ QUOTE ]
If I am doing a huge batch of pistol cases I use the Lyman spray lube

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't use carbide pistol dies?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

I've tried all sorts of pads and spray methods to lube cases. None produced very uniform case headspace (as measured with case gages); got between .002 and .003-inch spreads with a variety of rimless and belted bottle neck cases. Then someone suggested I tumble my deprimed then cleaned cases in a foam lined tumbler with a few drops of case lube on the foam. I've used a 50-50 mixture of STP engine oil treatment and Hoppe's No. 9 bore cleaner as a lube forever. Tumbling cases to lube them seems to put a more uniform coat of lube on the cases resulting in a .001-inch spread in sized case headspace.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

So how many of you don't lube if you're only neck sizing and have the carbide expander buttons?

So walnut media is better for the real cruddy stuff, is that about the only difference or advantage?

If you tumble after lubing and full length sizing, I suppose that would remove all the wax, right?

And last, does lube and wax build up pretty bad in chambers if you get lazy wiping it off?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

I know one thing, do not use the hornady non hazardous spray lube. I just lubed and sized 50 cases and threw them in the tumbler. After an hour I opened it to see how the lube was coming off, its almost like the powder in the media has bonded to the case. I don't know how the hell I will get these cases cleaned!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

I first deprime fired cases, clean out their necks with a bore brush to get rid of powder fouling, then tumble them in rice or walnut hulls to clean the cases. Then I shush them in a large towel to get rid of all the surface dust.

Next, I tumble them in a foam lined tumbler to lube them followed by full-length sizing them in a die whose neck is lapped out so an expander ball isn't needed.

Finally, I wash all the cases in mineral spirits to clean all the lube off and that stuff doesn't leave any residue after it evaporates. This way, there's nothing on the case to get put on the chamber walls.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

MagMan,

Yes I use carbide pistol dies, but over the years, I have found that just a light spray of the Lyman stuff works really well. When I do a batch for any particular caliber, it is generally 500+ at a time. Might also have nickle cases mixed in as well. Then I trim them all, tumble to remove any lube or what not, and then bag them up till I need them. I generally only load fifty or a hundered at a time. Some calibers I have several 1 gallon bags of cases ready to load, some only a coffee can or so.

Might not be needed, but it makes me feel better doing it, and the case necks don't seem to split as much as they did before I started.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

So walnut media is better for the real cruddy stuff, is that about the only difference or advantage?

The Walnut shell is a more agressive cleaner than the corn cob. IT will polish but not to the same extent.

If you tumble after lubing and full length sizing, I suppose that would remove all the wax, right?

Yes generally before I resize anything it has been through at least one round of media, which ever was needed. Then after sizing it goes straight into the corn cob. This generally only takes about 15 or so minutes and I am setting up the next step or getting the powder measure set while doing so.

And last, does lube and wax build up pretty bad in chambers if you get lazy wiping it off?

I haven't noticed any significant build up, but I have noticed that some loads which normally shoot really well do not shoot as tight or have varied velocities for no other aparent reason.

This is in my rifles which are for the most part all factory. The only thing I have ever owned custom is the .270 AM and it gets the same treatment.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"