Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case Lube and tumbling questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Case Lube and tumbling questions

Hello every one-
just wondered what the most common case lube ya'll use for full length resizing and neck sizing. And maybe what I'm a little more curious about is cleaning off case lube after you run them through the dies. I probably don't do a good enough job, and wonder how much not getting them wiped off enough can factor in on your chambers and brass. I use one shot, pretty simple application but when I'm going through a lot of reloading and resizing at once, I don't put a lot of effort in the wiping off.
Second question(s), do ya'll tumble your brass, when, for how long, what media and polishing compound. What are the advantages and disadvantages? I've heard people say clean brass is like a clean car, looks nice but doesn't run any better, but I would think cleaner brass has got to make for a smoother running chamber, right?
Thanks for your help
Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Case Lube and tumbling questions

picking up a tumbler tomorrow. i'll be listening also.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

I wipe the necks with JB then lube them on a RCBS pad with RCBS case lube then resize, clean the primer pocket and tumble them in treated corn cob media for about 2 hours. Take them out put them in a rag (old towel) roll them around a bit to get the dust from tumbling off and then put them in the ammo box mouth down and poke out the media from the flash holes and they are ready to go.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I use "RCBS-2" on a Lyman pad for full sizing. It's water soluble and easy to clean off with a damp rag - if I size a bunch (hundreds++), I just wash them in water and dry them with a hair dryer.

For neck sizing, I don't use anything.

LRH member #23
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

I only use imperial sizing wax put out by redding most places have it . It wipes right off and it goes a long way. To me there is no other choice and I havew not ever gotten a case stuck with it. It is very clean to use as well. I then arm all my dies with carbide sizing buttons for the inside , they require no lube also produced by redding. I have a couple of RCBS die and I have been able to adapt them to the buttons

As far as the case cleaning I use a Dillon 500 vibratory cleaner with there compriable seperator They are a little more money but I have had mine for several years and never had a problem out of it. Its a good Santa Claus gift if you know what I mean. http://dillonprecision.com/template/...amp;dyn=1&
Hope this helps

RH
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

If I am doing a huge batch of pistol cases I use the Lyman spray lube, for rifle cases ditto on the Imperial. I was using the RCBS but after getting recommendations from folks here I tried the Imperial. Wished I had known about it years ago.

For cleaning, I am using a Midway vibratory cleaner with corn cob to polish or walnut to clean the really cruddy stuff. I mix in about a half teaspoon of Flitz to the corncob and it puts a real fine shine on the cases and keep them from tarnishing up so bad after being handled several times or carried in less than ideal conditions.

IF you got several buddies that also use tumblers you can pick up the crushed corn cob and walnut for about 18 bucks for 50 pounds at just about any sand blasting supply place. IT will give you a several year supply very cheaply.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

My favorite lube it NO LUBE. I pretty much stick to my Lee Collet neck dies and they need no lube on the cases.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.