Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case head squaring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case head squaring

Rbrowning,
You pose some excellent questions! After doing all the match prepping you talked about, including case "perpendicularity" (I love that word, it makes us sound so smart!) the brass weight spread went from 1.2 grains to 1.6 grains high to low. So it did make some difference for sure, but it still was pretty insignificant. I could still tell that it was great brass. Now, I will tell you upfront that I have only done this trick to Lapua BR brass, so I don't know about the other kinds of brass. 7MMRHB could tell you way more about it than me. I can tell you that it would be a possibility to weigh the brass before and after you cut it. Then you would know if it is a variance in volume or just machining shavings. On that one case out of 200 that was .006" short in the neck, it also weighed less but I knew why because I measured it and just kept track of it by putting a notch in the head.
As for your last two questions, the degree of how much square/flat there is seems to be more than I thought it would be. Up until this experiment, I kinda thought that it would be pretty insignificant, but as I finished up the 200 rounds of excellent brass, I looked down at the pile of shavings that came off those heads and now I would have a hard time NOT doing this given my perfectionist mentality.
And yes, it seems that once it is fired many times in a blueprinted action, it remains very constant. In other words, it is a one time deal like flash hole deburring.
good shooting! -goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if i missed this or not, but have you seen any QUANTITATIVE advantages to this process. before and after etc...?

thanks,
JB
Old 01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Well, the first thing that happened after doing this process was a big jump in confidence knowing I had done everything I could to make my ammo as good as it could possibly be. As far as a noticeable difference in accuracy, all I can say is that my 6.5-.284 with it's square contact to the bolt face has shot a 28" X 14.5" group at 1 mile in decent mirage. As far as testing accuracy before and after the process, I am currently in the process of this test with a friends 6mm dasher. I will post the results as soon as I get them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
7MMRHB, have you tested before and after accuracy on anything you've done?? If so, you could answer jb1000br's question better than I. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
daveosok

Has anyone thought of this?

When you lock your bolt down the sear has a small spring underneath forcing the sear upwards to catch the firing pin. This force even if it is ever so slight in a stock Remington rifle will push the bolt upwards and because of the slop in the action cause the bolt to seat at an angular plane off from the centerline of the action. This will cause the bolt face to be out. If your squaring case heads and your bolt is out of square (by no means through blueprinting) wouldnt this negate the purpose of squaring case heads?
What I did on one remington was to tig weld a small bead completely around the bolt at the rear where it would have the greatest contact area in the action and cylindrically ground this weld bead down to fit in the action to take up the slop. The front doesnt receive this weld bead as the counterbore in the barrel aligns the bolt. I slightly taper the front of the bolt boss about 1.5 degrees and the counterbore in the barrel is slightly tapered to a 1.5 degrees this algins the bolt to the barrel.
I saw no great improvement by doing this although I now know that the bolt is centered to the bore of the barrel. Much more work was done to the action like cylindrically grinding the outside so that the bolt race way/ bore was concentric to the od.
The violent action accompanined with the firing of any weapon the stresses involved play havoc on the material strength and consequently bend and twist the metal so you will still be out of square at the exact moment of firing.
I will give this a shot in the above mentioned action and see if there is any difference.
This idea requires testing because I do suspect it holds some sort of advantage as it is no doubt another step to reloading which is already time consuming.
For the fellas that shoot 1000 yard comps do they square there case heads?
Its really ironic though when you think about it everything we go through to eek out the very last bit of accuracy only to see guys show up with a bone stock factory rifles with Black Hills ammo shooting groups suggesting they do everything we do but you know they dont and Ive seen this a time or two. Says something for an "exercise in futility" doesnt it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] makes you wonder if what your doing actually makes any sense. Course it does as the industry for handloading wouldnt make any money nor would gunsmiths with prominant names be talked about.