Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

case head seperation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

case head seperation?

Was shooting the .270 a week ago while letting the other gun cool and for the first time I looked at the brass coming out of it(has always just used factory ammo on it, only gets shot a few times a year usually) and noticed the rings on the bases first. After looking closer at them I could actually feel a bit of a ridge with my thumb on them. Is this case head seperation happening here? I have never actually seen it before and would like some input before I get all stressed out and spend a bunch of money that I don't need to. They were Federal Power-Shok 130 grn. soft point. I was shooting them out of a Parker Hale Safari .270 win. If this does appear to be case seperation would the likely cause be excessive head space? I apologize for the poor pic quality but it didn't transfer well from the phone to computer for some reason. I will try to put some better ones up later but for now I will post these and see what anyone thinks. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
case head seperation?-270-cases.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: case head seperation?

first off if I read right you are shooting a factory load.if thats the case then no you are good to go.

now if you are reloading the ammo yourself then no the case looks good to me.what you are feeling is the out of roundness from the chamber.and the shinny look is the tell sign of the die doing its job when resizeing the case.the best way to tell if you are at the point of a case seperating is to take a papper clip and pull one end out then put a little 90* on the end.then you run it into the case to feel for a ring starting to form around the inside of the case.you can even form a point at the tip before you put the 90* in the end this will help out to feel the ring.if you feel a ring at the bottom of the case that should be .200 from the bottom of the head of the case on the outside of the case then you have a prim head starting to come off.

yes to your other question.to much headspace will cause it to happen.but when one puts too much headspace in the case time and time again.one time should not do it.one should only bump the shoulder back .02 or neck size to load the case again.then after the 4th fireing I would anneal the case neck and bump the shoulder back again till the primer pockets go out.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

thanks for the answer, yes it is factory ammo that it happened to, I just have never seen it before so prominent on any brass, even when I load my Norma too hot. I will give the paper clip trick a try and see what I feel on the inside of the case. I was planning on reloading these, been doing a lot more shooting with it lately and now it makes sense to reload fo this one as well as my other guns. Once again thanks for the response
Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

your welcome.glade to have been a help to ya.and yeah one more thing.take a case and cut it into with a pipe cutter.this will give you a good idea to what a case should look like inside. ( close to the heade but not in the area you are looking for )better yet cut one into that has had alot of fireings on it.then maybe you can see the ring forming on the inside.it takes some getting used to to be able to feel the ring with a papper clip.the powder fouling can play with your mind.again welcome.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Is this a flashback two years ago I asked same question 270 WIN
Any sign to be alarmed? Headspace separation?

they haven't separated yet
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

If you reload them and they do seperate its not always a simple task getting them out of the chamber . I learned this the hard way in a 22-250 and i wont reload anything with a base like that again . Just my 2 cents .
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Is this a flashback two years ago I asked same question 270 WIN
Any sign to be alarmed? Headspace separation?

they haven't separated yet
I feel a lot better about continuing to shoot this gun now that I have seen someone else with exactly the same looking brass as mine. Thanks for the link to your past article