Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case fouling on shoulder/neck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Case fouling on shoulder/neck

Good evening Gents,

Can someone maybe assist me with the following problem. A friend of mine reloads for a .300Win Mag. using Sierra GK 180gr, and Prvi Partizan Brass. He assured me that the charge is well below max according to the manual. (I don't have the exact charge and type of powder though)

After firing his loads, there's quite a bit of powder fouling on the shoulder area of the case (on the outside of the case, off course), as well as on the neck area. Seems like some of the gas is leaking "back" past the neck during firing resulting in a "burnt power residue". This doesn't occur further down the case past the shoulder egde.

He shoots a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, and the rifle is brand new.

Your imputs will be much appreciated.

Thanx

Pieter
Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Case fouling on shoulder/neck

Quote - He assured me that the charge is well below max according to the manual.

This will sometimes cause this as the case is not sealing with the low preasures that are produced at low charges.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

I started to see this before after about 4 firings as the brass was work hardening and not sealing good. This was when I started annealing necks and it curred the problem. So depending on your times fired it could be it.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I started to see this before after about 4 firings as the brass was work hardening and not sealing good. This was when I started annealing necks and it curred the problem. So depending on your times fired it could be it.

Jeff
That will cause it as well. Good point.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:40 PM

My Hawkeye 7 mag did the same thing when i was running some hardened brass though it. Fresh or annealed brass will almost certainly solve the issue.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Namibia;396415]Good evening Gents,

Can someone maybe assist me with the following problem. A friend of mine reloads for a .300Win Mag. using Sierra GK 180gr, and Prvi Partizan Brass. He assured me that the charge is well below max according to the manual. (I don't have the exact charge and type of powder though)

After firing his loads, there's quite a bit of powder fouling on the shoulder area of the case (on the outside of the case, off course), as well as on the neck area. Seems like some of the gas is leaking "back" past the neck during firing resulting in a "burnt power residue". This doesn't occur further down the case past the shoulder egde.

He shoots a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, and the rifle is brand new.

Your imputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hardened case necks,slow burning powder and lower/slower powder charges can all contribute
to this condition.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

You were given good answers. All of the above.