Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Case cleaner

Actually, the best (and least expensive) option on the food dehydrator, is use the one your wife has already or buy her one for Christmas. You kill 2 birds with one stone. You get her a present that she keeps in the kitchen and you get to use it too.

The best pricing on a dehydrator is Amazon.com. I bought me wife (and me) one with enough capacity to handle 500- 308 cases at once for 59 bucks on Amazon and paid no tax either. She does the dried fruit and I do the brass.

Everyone is happy, including me.

BTW, Midway has the best prices on Thumlers tumblers and the pins are alll over Flea-Bay in various weights per bag.

I realize STI has a package deal but it pays to shop. More funds for components.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

The dehydrator from STI is 49.00 and holds 400-500 cases. Just did 85 30/05 cases on one tray and that same dehydrator on Amazon is 59.00, I checked.

P.S. I don't get my wife something for me to use. Mine is mine and hers is hers nor do I butter her up to buy what I want. I make the money and I spend the money. If she has a problem with that then she can leave.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:08 PM

I do things on a smaller scale, just 50 7mm-08 cases at a time. The Harbor Freight tumbler, SS pins, a few drops of dish soap and lemon juice does the trick. I pick the cases out of the drums, shake off the water and SS pins and drop on a baking sheet. In the oven at the lowest setting for 20 minutes and we're good to go.

Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

With some light gage angle ironj, 4 plastic insert bearings, 2 pulleys, a small fan motor, a large o ring and some 1/4" bar stock (for axles) you can build a tumbler that will put any Thumler's to shame in an afternoon.

Everything is available at TSC except the motor. You use a 5 gallon bucket with the wire handle removed. TSC has the buckets too. It has to have a lid thats water sealed (sponge ring). A 5 gallon pail will tumble enough brass in one session for all year.

You can get a motor ar WWGrainger or dumpster diving, whatever you prefer.

If you go the bucket route, get 2 bags of pins. It takes a bunch of pins (and brass) to make a dent in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thats how rock polishers do it when they are cheap.