Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Case/Bullet Run-out: How Big a Deal Is It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Case/Bullet Run-out: How Big a Deal Is It?

Looking at tightening up my groups a little more. How big a deal is case and bullet run out? Obviously, if it is very pronounced, it becomes a huge problem. But how often is it a factor in everyday reloading? How many of you measure run out as part of your routine when reloading & case prep? What type/manufacturer of measuring device do you use?

I'm looking at getting an RCBS Case Master, but not sure if it will be worth the cost just to satisfy my curiousity as to what, if any, run out is present in my reloads.

All comments are welcome.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Case/Bullet Run-out: How Big a Deal Is It?

It is a big deal. If a crooked case is presenting a bullet to a centered chamber...then...it will come out crooked on the other end.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

It is very simple.
The more run out you have the worse the accuracy.

The main advantage of measuring run out is to improve your loading process and adjust
the way you are doing it to get the best results.

If you check run out in a fired case you should find little or no run out, then check the same
piece of brass after and find run out the reloading process or maybe even the dies may need
to be changed.

It is like everything else , The more consistant the loads are from one to another the better
The accuracy will be.

For short range it may not be enough to bother with but for long range shots it can be the
difference between success or failure.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

JE pretty much answered it.. I am of the opinion that once you cross into that realm, you are at beginnings of committing to a lot of work; then comes weighing brass, turning necks, sorting bullets/brass, annealing, etc etc… nothing wrong with that, but it gets old if you’re not shooting bench all the time where tenths, hundreds and thousands count…
.. IMHO.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

First off, if you are shooting a factory chamber do not presume that the chamber is centered in the barrel. Take a fired case and roll it across a flat surface. If it wobbles like a '42 Studebaker on a dirt road then your chamber is not good in the first place. You can get the rifle to shoot with the right load but excessive case prep is not going to compensate for a whacked out chamber.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have two rifles I use for hunting/practice. The first is a 6.5-06 AI, the second is a 277 AM. Both are custom builds by Kirby Allen and based on a Rem 700 action.

I was just toying with the idea of buying an RCBS Case Master (CM) because I had never checked for run out on my cases. I can get a CM for around $90, but I am not at all sure that it would uncover anything worth the cost of the purchase - except maybe piece of mind. I don't mind prepping or working with my brass as I need exceptional accuracy from my loads to make up for poor shooter. Ha!

Is it worth it? If so, what did you buy?

Last edited by azsugarbear; 01-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
I was just toying with the idea of buying an RCBS Case Master (CM) because I had never checked for run out on my cases. A can get a CM for around $90, but I am not at all sure that it would uncover anything worth the cost of the purchase - except maybe piece of mind.
The RCBS is not the tool of choice. Sinclair's is the one that's usually preferred. However, as JE pointed, the tool only tells you about your process. Take some representative examples of your ammo and check them on someone else's tool. A machinist can check them with V-blocks on a surface plate. You can check them yourself roughly by rolling them across a flat surface, looking for wobble; a glass-top table will work. If your rounds have no run-out, you don't need a gauge. On the other hand, a gauge provides a way to monitor your process.