Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

can you neck turn once fired brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

can you neck turn once fired brass

can you neck turn once fired brass or must it be new brass?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: can you neck turn once fired brass

Sure...why wouldn't you be able to?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

"can you neck turn once fired brass"

Certainly, the cutter doesn'r care.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

The mandrel does care.
New brass is easier to fit to a particular turning mandrel(through expansion) because it was fully formed in manufacture, pretty much ready to load. This is the basis for expander mandrel size.
With fired cases all dimensions change, and you're relying on die downsizing, springback, expansion, and springback again, to leave whatever mandrel fit you end up with.

It can be done, some(with wildcats) may have no choice if turning. Some take the inside neck reaming path instead of outside neck turning.
But ideally, you would turn before firing. And most have to(in a tight neck chamber) because the loaded necks wouldn't fit until turned.
Trial & error for you.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

The mandrel does care.... And most have to(in a tight neck chamber)"

A mandrel may 'care' but not much and a touch of case lube on the mandrel will fix that.

Anyone concerned about neck carbon should know it's really not very hard to clean necks spotless no matter how many times it's been fired, the very thin carbon residue is extremely thin so even if it's not removed it won't matter. The VERY few of us who have custom cut tight-necked chambers already know how to deal with it so this information would be meaningless to them.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, I wasn't talking about friction.
A good and consistent mandrel fit is important to precision neck turning. And so are neck lengths and shoulder angles.
When a neck holds a sloppy fit to the turning mandrel, the necks/shoulders can take various angles to the cutter, and the cutter can also 'peel' more or less brass during the process.
This, combined with speed & feed, make turning a trial & error process, no matter how fancy or basic the equipment.

I know it can be done loose, and with good results, or not.
Ideally the necks fit properly via the matched turning/expander mandrels.
As an example, if you expand necks with a K&M expandiron, and then turn with Sinclair's turning tools, your results will likely not be as good as necks first expanded with Sinclair's matching expander mandrel(both conditions using new cases).

I think everyone who turns understands that the mandrels are matched, and for a reason. But OP is considering a departure from this intent, by using unpredictable pre-fired brass.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
The mandrel does care.
New brass is easier to fit to a particular turning mandrel(through expansion) because it was fully formed in manufacture, pretty much ready to load. This is the basis for expander mandrel size.
With fired cases all dimensions change, and you're relying on die downsizing, springback, expansion, and springback again, to leave whatever mandrel fit you end up with.

It can be done, some(with wildcats) may have no choice if turning. Some take the inside neck reaming path instead of outside neck turning.
But ideally, you would turn before firing. And most have to(in a tight neck chamber) because the loaded necks wouldn't fit until turned.
Trial & error for you.
Sorry to change the subject, but you mention that new brass is pretty much ready to load. That couldn't be farther from the trueth. Like many others here, I FL size all my new brass after I inspect it to cull out the split necks and cracked shoulders which I often find after an initial inspection. Then I turn the necks. Hope this helps!