Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Can someone please explain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Can someone please explain

I need help analyzing this. My friend just blown my methods of meticulous handloading out of the water. Anyway, a few months ago, we decided to try the Nosler 168 Competition on both of our 308, and see if we can use the bullet for hunting. Well to make a story short, my rifle likes the Nosler and not on his. He handed me the rest of his already handloaded ammo, around 100 rounds in all, and give up on Nosler all together. I tried several of his reloaded rounds in my rifle and it chambered okay, even though he was using brass that was once once fired from his rifle. Except with occassional trimming, which is as far as his case preparation goes, he rarely does anything else on his brass. The other day, I tried his handloads on my rifle and the result was short of amazing.

Here's the spec of his handloaded 308 ammo

168 grain Nosler comp
43 grains of H4895
Federal 210 Match Primer
Winchester Brass/once fired and partially necksized/trimmed with no other case prep
COL 2.825 AV. jammbed slightly to the land

Here's the the Chronograph reading

High: 2749.1 fps
Low: 2745.4 fps

SD: 1.4
CV: 0.05%

MAD: 1.1
CV: 0.04%

AV: 2747.3 fps
ES: 3.7

#001: 2747.3 fps
#002: 2749.1 fps
#003: 2745.4 fps
#004: 2746.3 fps
#005: 2746.2 fps

Group: Not shooting for groups but Cloverleaf around half inch.

Now, What happened here?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Can someone please explain

You kind of proved what I've believed for a long time. That is that 98% of a guns accuracy comes from how much it likes the combination of powder, bullet, and seating depth. I think the fact that you jammed the lands a bit might have made the pressure more consistant. It also probably negated any trouble from runnout issues (which I also think are over blown).
In last months issue of Shooting Times they test the new factory savage long range 308 designed for F class shooting.
They tried lots of factory ammo and some handloads. They found 7 LOADS THAT SHOT UNDER 2" AT 500 YDS!. There was no attention paid to loading technique other than making sure they were the same seating depth.
In the same issue they experiemented with neck turning. The result was there seemed to be no consistant diff between turning necks and and not turning. The amazing thing is the VERY BEST group they got was with a mix of different headstamps at the end of the test trying to shoot off the last bullets they had.
I don't think there really is anything to explain here.....your buddy found YOUR MAGIC LOAD for your rifle.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.....
Clean livin' pulls through again......

Don't shoot'em all at paper amazing yourself....

Go harvest something.......

Bet it doesn't happen again.......for a while.

Good shootin' and have fun

Oh yeah? Why doesn't that ever happen to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

If I was you, I'd try to duplicate that load and see if it shot the same.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

What chronograph are you using?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Don't shoot'em all at paper amazing yourself....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have around 75 rounds left. I'm saving them for a special hunt of course [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
If I was you, I'd try to duplicate that load and see if it shot the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loads was already analyzed, scrutinized, measured and studied for future duplication.

[ QUOTE ]
What chronograph are you using?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using Pact Professional Chronograph setted 10 ft. from the muzzle.