Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Can SD and ES be a shortcut for accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Can SD and ES be a shortcut for accuracy

At the house I have about 100 yards to play with and a back stop, at where I shoot I have about 2500 yards to play with but its a little bit of a drive. what I'm getting at is for less intensive load development, (for now) because of time available is it safe to say the load with the lowest SD and ES will be the most accurate at longer ranges. I would not always think so but would like to hear everyone's input. Loading for a 338 EDGE AI 300 SMK's planning on starting at 90.0 gr of H-1000 and working my way up. I know i could shoot groups at 100yd but I would like to see how it groups further out, although it may do well at 100 this does not always mean the same for extended ranges, although I will check out groups at 100 also.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Can SD and ES be a shortcut for accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
At the house I have about 100 yards to play with and a back stop, at where I shoot I have about 2500 yards to play with but its a little bit of a drive. what I'm getting at is for less intensive load development, (for now) because of time available is it safe to say the load with the lowest SD and ES will be the most accurate at longer ranges. I would not always think so but would like to hear everyone's input. Loading for a 338 EDGE AI 300 SMK's planning on starting at 90.0 gr of H-1000 and working my way up. I know i could shoot groups at 100yd but I would like to see how it groups further out, although it may do well at 100 this does not always mean the same for extended ranges, although I will check out groups at 100 also.
All that a good SD and ES does is tell you that you have a good powder, primer,case and bullet
weight combination. It may be accurate or not but if you have good accuracy to then you have
found the load for long distance.

In the process of working up a load the SDs and ES are what I start with when I get them down
(Preferably below 10 SD) then I start altering seating depth to improve accuracy or change to
another brand/type of bullet of the same weight to find out what the rifle likes.

I found that by using this method it saved me many loads and much time to get to the load that
I needed.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

I would not start at 90 grains. My old lot of H1000, I was good at 93 grains. With my new lot, I'm getting flattened primers and ejector marks at 89.5 grains.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Silver Member

In short, you MUST have a good ES and SD as a prequirement to an accurate long range load. You MUST ALSO have good accuracy in terms of group size which may not have anything to do with ES or SD, but more likely barrel harmonics or bullet types and seating depths.

The reason ES and SD is important, is huge vertical impact variation at long range due to the muzzle velocity differences.

In your circumstance, you can still develop a good long range load at 100yds by shooting your groups at 100yds THRU a chronograph at the same time. If you see very tight groups (accuracy) and the chrono is giving you very low ES and SD numbers with the tight groups, youve found a load with great long range potential and then you can take it your long range shooting spot and test it there at distance.

If you get good SD ES numbers but the accuracy is poor, then you need to keep trying different seating depths or powder/primer combinations before wasting your time and heading out to your long range spot.

make sense?

Last edited by groper; 08-07-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

The only thing that I will add to this is that 100yrds does not always show the accuracy potential of a load. My hunting rifle shoots the same group at 100 as it does at 200, and almost holds the same group at 300. I think there are a lot of loads thrown out because they do not look good at 100yrds. When in fact they were very good loads.

I still shoot at 100yrds, but not necessarily for group. I run through the chrono, and watch the target. If the load is big at 100 then I don't bother. But if it is close to 1" then I will try it at 200yrds before discarding it.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by RockyMtnMT; 08-07-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Alright thanks every one for a better understanding on the subject
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Humor a NUB. What is SD and ES? How do you calculate it?