Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Can primers reduce E.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can primers reduce E.S.?

And they're cheeper!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

TBrice23

Have you tried CCI #41(?) military grade primers? They are are a magnum primer. Federal Match also deliver low SD's (usually).
Wolf makes all the Russian Olympic grade and Military/International match stuff for the ex-Soviet countries. Not a slouch operation but I have heard only garbage about their (and Tulla's) "green" products. Some of their 22LR stuff shows up pretty good.
I buy "Made in the USA" when ever I can. All the primers here in Western WA are the same price, even the Match stuff. Guess what I buy most?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Canadian Bushman

About working up your loads with a different primer.
Load 3-5 rounds same powder charge and new primer.
Shoot them over the Chronograph onto a target.
If the first round is abnormally higher (50-100fps) velocity than the original load STOP. The pressure may be higher and you need to check for all the usual signs (primer appearance, case head marks, stiff extraction etc.) of high pressure. If the velocity is the same or there are no signs of excess pressure shoot away and check your results.
Quick and easy test that conserves ammo. The first round will tell you a lot from the Chronograph reading.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
TBrice23

Have you tried CCI #41(?) military grade primers? They are are a magnum primer. Federal Match also deliver low SD's (usually).
Wolf makes all the Russian Olympic grade and Military/International match stuff for the ex-Soviet countries. Not a slouch operation but I have heard only garbage about their (and Tulla's) "green" products. Some of their 22LR stuff shows up pretty good.
I buy "Made in the USA" when ever I can. All the primers here in Western WA are the same price, even the Match stuff. Guess what I buy most?
No I haven't tried them but I did read n article ( Seedy Gonzalez? I think) testing green primers . All thumbs down.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
Canadian Bushman

About working up your loads with a different primer.
Load 3-5 rounds same powder charge and new primer.
Shoot them over the Chronograph onto a target.
If the first round is abnormally higher (50-100fps) velocity than the original load STOP. The pressure may be higher and you need to check for all the usual signs (primer appearance, case head marks, stiff extraction etc.) of high pressure. If the velocity is the same or there are no signs of excess pressure shoot away and check your results.
Quick and easy test that conserves ammo. The first round will tell you a lot from the Chronograph reading.
You do this with your current load?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Do you work back up to your load with each new primer?
With BR rifles, we do stupid stuff, so yes it is basically working up a load for each type of primer used. To be perfectly honest though, I am to the point that I do not think it is worth the effort. With longrange guns I never worry with ES anyway. I only look at vertical dispersion. If my ES is 40 or less and I am getting 1/4 MOA of vertical I go with it.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
With BR rifles, we do stupid stuff, so yes it is basically working up a load for each type of primer used. To be perfectly honest though, I am to the point that I do not think it is worth the effort. With longrange guns I never worry with ES anyway. I only look at vertical dispersion. If my ES is 40 or less and I am getting 1/4 MOA of vertical I go with it.
This is where my questions source from. At 100-600 yds my groups are under .5 moa. Further than that my vertical dispersion puts me at 1 moa and i would like to understand why before i begin working up a new load.