Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Can primers reduce E.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Can primers reduce E.S.?

I use cci LR #200 primers. Can swapping to a match grade primer reduce my E.S.?

What are some match grade primers that have proven consistent?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Can primers reduce E.S.?

Primers can absolutely change ES. Sometimes not in a good way. In my load development routine I get the best load. For me that is the smallest group & hopefully closest to the point of aim. No real scientific reasoning just I feel better if two different loads have the same group measurement I use the one that is closest to the point of aim. Once I have achieved this I load up more of that load changing ONLY the brand of primer. I load as many different primers that I can get my hands on. I label the targets & shoot the different loads round robin at the longest distance that I have available. I keep the load that puts the holes in the target closest together. I have had a .308 Win 190 Berger VLD load that I was pretty happy with using Fed 210M primers. This load has an ES of 13 fps for 20 shots. I changed to a Rem 9 1/2 primer & the 20 shot ES dropped to 6 fps. At that point I figure I am done. While I feel that there is a small chance I could come up with slightly better load. I think that would be worth about as much as pickin' fly **** from pepper, you can do it but there ain't much future in it.
Every one of my firearms is WAY! more accurate than I am so from the beginning I am the weak link in the chain.
After all the technology & ballistic program fiddlin' it bolis down to how close the holes in the paper are.
Semper Fi
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

Wc872
I think the shooter is almost always the weak link in the chain. It def is in my case.

Is there a primer that you def see lower es numbers with more commonly in your load development?
Or even a primer you favor over others?

And have you ever gotten high pressure signs from only changing a primer?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

There are no primers that are better than others, just those that prove to work best for your action & load.
In fact you can affect this better/worse per primer used with striking adjustments.
This I believe is an unknown that makes best primer selection an abstract.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

I know of no way to determine the optimal combination without shooting the different combos.
Yes, I have had loads that I have tried using magnum primers in that I deemed too hot for me. I have never gone from a Magnum primer to a standard & had any pressure signs however. Folks have said that they were having great success using standard Fed 210M primers instead of Fed 215M's in the 300 Norma Mag family of cartridges. In my rifles the 210M's were absolutely terrible. You would have thought that the barrel was total junk! Nope, not junk I just tried what others said worked for them. The moral of the story. Firearms can't read & don't know what they are supposed to do.
Just put holes in targets until you are happy.
On initial load testing I only load 4 cartridges per combination. Lots of times I can't string 3 shoots together so I have the 4th one there just in case. If I get lucky & the first 3 are good strong shoots then I have a physical example so that I can exactly duplicate it.
Semper Fi
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen ES differences between primer types and brands but it seem to be random. I am partial to Federal 210M's and 215's. While I have seen ES differences between 210's and 210Ms, have not generally seen a difference between Federal 215 and 215M's. I'm not sure why.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
There are no primers that are better than others, just those that prove to work best for your action & load.
In fact you can affect this better/worse per primer used with striking adjustments.
This I believe is an unknown that makes best primer selection an abstract.
Could you help me understand different striking adjustments? Im afraid im completely unaware i could be making adjustments.