Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

called redding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Gold Member

called redding

I just called redding where i could get a neck die for 7mmSTW i told him i neaded it for hunting. He said you should not use them for hunting. He said the whole reloading industry said not to use them for hunting, because the 2nd shoot follow-up was not dependable. I told him i try every round in my case before i take it hunting; he said it didn't matter becasue it was unethical because if you wound a animal the next round might jam up and the animal would get away wounded. I said i had never heard of such a thing. I have used lee neck dies for years; have any of you ever had your second round jam with just neck sizing? thanks. Joe
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: called redding

That guy is an idiot. I would call back and talk to his boss you didnt ask for his opinion on ethics you asked for a neck sizing die. how is a neck sized case prone to jam? it will fit tighter in your chamber and be more accurate but jaming? So does that mean my 338 Lapua is unethical? I have a semi tight neck and a tight bolt, compared to my tikka t3 its smooth as gravel. I guess I wasted my money.. What about bow hunters? are they unethical? I dont bow hunt but I dont inagine there are a lot of follow up shots with that. and it is a whole lot easier to wound an animal with a sharp stick than it is a bullet.. That guy is a moron.. did I say that already?? haha

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

I neck sized almost exclusively for many years and never had a problem. After several firings the brass does tend to chamber more tightly and needs to be put through a body sizer of some sort but that never was a problem.

When hunting I generally used once fired cases, they always chambered like new cases. The guy at Redding had a point but he sure over-stated it. Now if you were hunting DANGEROUS GAME than all the rules change, but that's not what you were talking about.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Since when has Redding paid its bills by giving out that kind of advice. I thought they were in the business to sell dies.

BTW, I only neck size my 300 WBY, and have yet to have a problem in chambering a follow up shot.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Joe, here is a link to the die you are looking for without having to deal with idiots. Graf shows one Redding neck die in stock for the 7STW.

Graf & Sons - REDDING 7MM STW NECK SIZE DIE SERIES B