Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Caliber Stamp on bottom of case for Wildcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Caliber Stamp on bottom of case for Wildcats

What do folks do to the caliber stamp when you wildcat a round, do you restamp, cross the caliber out or what?

Jay
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Caliber Stamp on bottom of case for Wildcats

I do nothing. I can tell by looking at them or if I had a bunch I would do what I do with my rifles that are in duplicate like my twin Accumarks in 257Wby. Each gun has it's own box of shells. I neck size only so my ammo is not interchangable anyway.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM
SPONSOR

I do nothing to it. I dont have that many wildcats but you should be able to tell the difference between them. The only prob i can think of is that I have heard that some countrys require the stamp on the bottom of the case or box of ammo to match the rifle. I dont know if this is true but I would be awfully pissed if I had to leave my 270AM at home because me and some border guard got in a ******* contest of the 7 RUM case stamp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I label all of my ammo boxes, more for date of loading, load, COAL, etc.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

One thing I don't have is a variety of wildcats, but I do have something in just about all of the popular calibers based on the 06' case. From 25 up through 30 caliber. As such, I generally purchase bulk batches of cases in just 30'06 as they are generally cheaper to buy than the specific calibers are. It is then simply a sizing job and to the field I go. Since I generally only load a box of 20 at a time for each of them, it doesn't take long to form them up to add to the stock of other cases when needed.

I mostly just use the Ballistic Tips to keep track of the different calibers in most loads. However on the others with lead tips or straight copper, they all have their own specific labled boxes, and do not get loaded up or taken out to to the range or field together. This helps keep my confusion, as well as anyone elses, down to a minimum. If I am loaning the rifle to someone, I use specific caliber cases. For most shooting however, I can look at the loaded rounds and determine if they go with the particular rifle or not.

Since I only shoot factory rounds in one or two smaller calibers, this never is a problem either.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

I keep mine in a case guard 100 which I label appropriately.
Smaller containers can be had [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...