Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cabelas no longer lists smokeless powder since the Boston Bombing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Cabelas no longer lists smokeless powder since the Boston Bombing ?

In looking for reloading supplies, I went to the Cabelas website. In the past they have always listed smokeless powder, now they only have black powder listed ? Go figure ? As if black powder is "safer" than smokeless powder ? We all know thats a myth.

It seems odd that they would list no smokeless powder whatsoever ? They are one of the stores where I could order and pick up in store, but it does not look like that is going to happen.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cabelas no longer lists smokeless powder since the Boston Bombing ?

In the past few weeks they have slowly but surely taken more and more of the smokeless powder off the online sales. I don't feel it has anything to do with what happened in Boston.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

I would wager big $ that it has nothing to do with Boston. Cabelas has been a strong force for shooting (and thus individual) rights in the face of all of the recent idiot attacks.

More likely it has to do with simple business - the hazmat shipping cluster and expense in conjunction with less consistency in deliveries from suppliers . . . Hard to make a living going ship-to-store if you can't bundle all your hazmat.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

In as much as one of the 4 managers at Cabelas (in Dumdee) is a friend of mine, I can say with knowledge thats it's an issue of supply and when it's available that has more to do with the declining listings. You'll still find the (puny) 1 pound jars in the powder cabinet at the store however.

Cabelas don't want to deal with the backorderable scenario and sadly, thats what it is today and for the foreseeable future.

Besides, they are overpriced. My buying credo with Cabelas is simply, when I have the points (I have a Cabelas Black) to get something, I go get it. Better than frequent flyer miles or cheap chinese trinkets.

I order components from everyone and when it shows up, I'm good with that. Case in point, I ordered some brass from Top Brass in February and it's still not here. It will be. I figure in July sometime.

It's not life and death with me.

Besides, with Cabelas I pay sales tax, pee on that. When you pay 35% of your income in taxes, every little bit saved helps..... and I can't get an ag exemption on firearm related stuff....lol
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

If I can ship multiple powders in 1 order with 1 hazmat fee, I imagine they get an entire pallet load per hazmat fee ? What am I missing ?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

What you are missing is that they (Cabelas) can't get the quantity to have a pallet load and negate the hazmat fee. Keep in mind that they ship common carrier (inter store) so they hazardous material fee is built into the contract carrier price. Even with that in mind, they can't get the quantity, no one can right now.

I just happened to be at the right website at the right time..... In my case.

Bottom line, it's not profitable for them. Believe me, Cabelas is all about profit no matter what they say or what they portray.

If you had any idea of the markup on accessories, like powder, you'd faint.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM

it has NOTHING to do with the Boston bombing. IF you had been checking their website prior to the bombing you would have seen that it was already pulled off the site. Its been off the site since about 3 weeks after Sandyhook. It also has NOTHING to do with Sandyhook. The issue is that there are countless ppl buying a supply that is sadly limited to to PRODUCTION. The powder manufactures can not keep up with the demand that is taking place right now. Same EXACT scenario happened four years ago when Obie got elected the 1st time.