Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

C.o.a.l

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM

C.o.a.l

I have a 338 lapua custom. I just picked some 300gr otms and loaded them up. I wanted to start off with .015 off my lands. That is putting my OAL at a 3.840 tip to base. The max my book shows is 3.600, I know this is a guide line to go buy too keep the pressure spike down but that puts my bullets at a very long OAL longer then i have seen anyone else using. So what im asking is, if this is safe to be seated out so far. I know the ogive on this round is set back due to its shape making it hard to get close to the lands, and many there mag length decides what there max can be. So if anyone has any experiance with this round and its OAL please give me your feedback and your opinion on if my OAL is safe. Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: C.o.a.l

As long as you have at least .338 of the bullet in the case neck you will be fine.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Re: C.o.a.l

Thanks thats what i was hoping for, im going to run a ladder using the otms and h1000 and see what i can get outa my gun with this round. Thanks again for the wisdom