Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #57  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
Shortpants,


You have gotten some of the best advice throughout this thread that I have seen in a long time! Some of the posters have offered differences of opinion but they have done so in a very friendly manner by offering reasons to there different opinions. I commend ALL that have posted. You all are offering your knowledge to someone that is just starting out, and to some of us who have been at it awhile are picking up tidbits of info also (at least I did).


Your last question is a good observation. I don't see how people load at a match without having charge weight issues. One of the posters stated that he didnt use the plastic shroud with his RCBS Chargemaster. I DO use the shroud with mine after being shown one of the reasons that the shroud is on there. It keeps the wind from blowing on the scale (it does make a difference). Without the shroud in place, the weight will be plus or minus the specific charge weight that I'm looking for. I still check the weight about every 5th or 6th round to make sure that everything is where it needs to be.

There is alot of great information about reloading on this forum, just remember, if you run into something that you don't KNOW to be fact or if something that is suggested seems unsafe... just ask. I am sure that someone can give you an opinion on the issue.
I load at the range more than I don't. I do use an electronic scale at the range when I feel it's needed, and other than the bright sunlight giving me trouble, I have little problems. Most stuff is small grained stuff so I throw it dead in the middle of the window I choose to work out of everytime. The long grained stuff is a pain in the rear for sure, but with a little thought it can be overcame.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 204
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I load at the range more than I don't. I do use an electronic scale at the range when I feel it's needed, and other than the bright sunlight giving me trouble, I have little problems. Most stuff is small grained stuff so I throw it dead in the middle of the window I choose to work out of everytime. The long grained stuff is a pain in the rear for sure, but with a little thought it can be overcame.
gary
I guess I may be too anal about keeping everything too clean and neat. Most of the ranges I go to are dusty as heck and I can only imagine getting my reloading stuff setup and someone coming over to BS and knock over a tray of my cleaned, primed and lubed cases in the dirt that I worked so hard to weight sort and put them in order...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
I guess I may be too anal about keeping everything too clean and neat. Most of the ranges I go to are dusty as heck and I can only imagine getting my reloading stuff setup and someone coming over to BS and knock over a tray of my cleaned, primed and lubed cases in the dirt that I worked so hard to weight sort and put them in order...
I only neck size at the range with Wilson dies. I do not use a wet case lube, and prefer powdered graphite. My scale resides in a box. As for cases, I never load more than twelve cases at a time, and usually do just five. I have a plate that has a vertical piece of aluminum attached to it. With this I can mount just about any tool or measurer I need in a 10" x 16" space. This plate is C-clamped to the otherside of the bench. Some ranges I goto, I use a Black & Decker Workmate, and with this it's even easier. I have two small cigar boxes for tools. One contains things like a set of hex keys and Torx keys, and various assorted tools I use to work on a gun. The other box is much larger (also a cigar box), and glued in several wood brackets and dividers. In it I will have my powder measurer clamped to one of the blocks plus just about everything else I need to reload a round (including the arbor press). I have one more box with bullets and powder in it along with whatever dies I'll need that day. If the range is not busy I often put my cleaning stuff on the next bench, and if it is busy I have to find a spot for it.

One of these days I'm gonna spring for one of the two wheeled tool carts, and then I only need to make two trips to the bench instead of four.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 787
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Another question for those of you who reload at the range. How on earth do you use a scale in the wind. I was told to turn off my ac and fan as the scales are so sensitive to air moving across them. Got me wondering how you guys do it???
I use one of the BR type click adjustment powder measure so I don't weight powder as I know what each click equals in grs of the powder I want to use.

When I first started back in the early 80's for my hunting rifles loading at the range I'd weight all my loads like you normally do but I didn't seat a bullet. When I got to the range and all set up I'd seat bullet with the Wilson die than fire and I'd take the fire case neck size seat primer them dump powder in from one case and if load didn't look good I'd move on to next test load. I had the whole range set up for my BR rifles at the time so adding was a big expensive . I had one of the Jones measure at the time then when Bruno started making his I got one and still have it.

With new lots of powder I check weight/clicks and sometimes depend on amount of powder I'll split that into 1/2 or 1/3 that gets it lot closer to actual powder weight I want to use.
__________________
Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
I use one of the BR type click adjustment powder measure so I don't weight powder as I know what each click equals in grs of the powder I want to use.

When I first started back in the early 80's for my hunting rifles loading at the range I'd weight all my loads like you normally do but I didn't seat a bullet. When I got to the range and all set up I'd seat bullet with the Wilson die than fire and I'd take the fire case neck size seat primer them dump powder in from one case and if load didn't look good I'd move on to next test load. I had the whole range set up for my BR rifles at the time so adding was a big expensive . I had one of the Jones measure at the time then when Bruno started making his I got one and still have it.

With new lots of powder I check weight/clicks and sometimes depend on amount of powder I'll split that into 1/2 or 1/3 that gets it lot closer to actual powder weight I want to use.
I keep a small log book to store my setups I use at the range. Once or twice a year I'll setup the measurer on a stand and weigh new powders (to me anyway) to get new starting loads, and start a new page for them in the book. I have another similar book that I actually keep load recipes in (bushing, seating depth, bullet, and primer and charge). I'm going to start a new book later in the year that will take in case brands and their volume.

I use a Harrell measurer, and it seems to repeat extremely well in my return trips to the range. I still find myself having to trickel powders in some of the more coarse grained stuff, but it's also the nature of the beast.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 204
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I only neck size at the range with Wilson dies. I do not use a wet case lube, and prefer powdered graphite. My scale resides in a box. As for cases, I never load more than twelve cases at a time, and usually do just five. I have a plate that has a vertical piece of aluminum attached to it. With this I can mount just about any tool or measurer I need in a 10" x 16" space. This plate is C-clamped to the otherside of the bench. Some ranges I goto, I use a Black & Decker Workmate, and with this it's even easier. I have two small cigar boxes for tools. One contains things like a set of hex keys and Torx keys, and various assorted tools I use to work on a gun. The other box is much larger (also a cigar box), and glued in several wood brackets and dividers. In it I will have my powder measurer clamped to one of the blocks plus just about everything else I need to reload a round (including the arbor press). I have one more box with bullets and powder in it along with whatever dies I'll need that day. If the range is not busy I often put my cleaning stuff on the next bench, and if it is busy I have to find a spot for it.

One of these days I'm gonna spring for one of the two wheeled tool carts, and then I only need to make two trips to the bench instead of four.
gary
Ok. I see how you make it work now. For me, I use wet lube and electronic scales (along with RCBS 10-10 to spot check the electronic scale weights) and other things that wouldnt work for me in an open air environment. Probably doesn't make my loads any better, just the way that I load them. I am thinking about going to a seat at the range setup where I seat the bullets long at home then seat them to the depth I need them to be at the day of the match on the range.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 787
Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I keep a small log book to store my setups I use at the range. Once or twice a year I'll setup the measurer on a stand and weigh new powders (to me anyway) to get new starting loads, and start a new page for them in the book. I have another similar book that I actually keep load recipes in (bushing, seating depth, bullet, and primer and charge). I'm going to start a new book later in the year that will take in case brands and their volume.

I use a Harrell measurer, and it seems to repeat extremely well in my return trips to the range. I still find myself having to trickel powders in some of the more coarse grained stuff, but it's also the nature of the beast.
gary
I use index card at the range and if I make a change I'll mark that load with it. Once I get a seating depth that's it and if I want to try other bullets I'll get extra cap/stems for the Wilson. I keep a main file folder on each rifle from amt of rds fired to all test load and final loads and all loads I run over the chronograph. Over the years I've learned what's important to me vs what someone else may do in their logs saves getting into the debates.

At 70 my memory isn't all that great and I forget the company rights Bruno bought out for his powder measure it was someone on the west coast anyway it's been a good one.
__________________
Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying equipment, need help DanielLudwig The Basics, Starting Out 1 02-17-2010 03:57 PM
long time listener, first time poster from Washington PDA Member Introductions 2 05-19-2009 08:08 PM
Long time reader, first time poster jmp3006 Member Introductions 2 03-09-2009 02:54 PM
Wanted Bluing Equipment MikeK Other Stuff For Sale 0 01-23-2009 01:20 PM

Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC