Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

No 'Command Center' is complete without an annealing setup for bottleneck cases, so add a Bench Source Annealer for 500 bucks, a bottle of Templaq for 15 and start annealing those fired cases.

No point in being spendy on dies and then shoot yourself in the foot (pun intended) with crappy work hardened brass cases that cause split necks and inconsistent neck to bullet tension issues....
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Stay away from Hornady dies and equipment. Lots of advertising dollars and poor fit and polish. I have the LOA guage but they were Stoney Point then. I hope Hornady doesn't ruin those, I might need an replacement insert one day. To be specific , the trimmer uses a shellholder to hold the case. A cammed ram pushes the case forward in the holder witch means your trim length will vary with your rim thickness. Really bad design! The dies are poorly polished and chatter and vibrate when used. Also poor runout with the bullet seater. The new concentrity tool just bends the necks to fix the runout you get from using their seater die, NICE!, not!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
I'm with you on this one. I had to reset min twice yesterday to factory zero and it still was not working right. I dont know what I'm going to do.

Hey try this I read it on a 6mmBR sight.

instantly eliminates and prevents static cling! : Static Guard

I guess guys spray it around tabletop and on scale and pan and area of scale and its stops drift or something like that. I was going to get a can of it and try it just to be on the safe side.

Worth a try. Ill try to find the article on it and add if i find - nevermind I found it.

Reloading Daily Bulletin

Page down and its in there. I need to reread it right now too.

Shortpants - add that to your list if you get an electronic scale and it will also keep your Shortpants static free!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Stay away from Hornady dies and equipment. Lots of advertising dollars and poor fit and polish. I have the LOA guage but they were Stoney Point then. I hope Hornady doesn't ruin those, I might need an replacement insert one day. To be specific , the trimmer uses a shellholder to hold the case. A cammed ram pushes the case forward in the holder witch means your trim length will vary with your rim thickness. Really bad design! The dies are poorly polished and chatter and vibrate when used. Also poor runout with the bullet seater. The new concentrity tool just bends the necks to fix the runout you get from using their seater die, NICE!, not!
Helluva good advertisement for Hornady quality if I don't say so myself......
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

What really sucks is I bought a bunch of their stuff to find that out.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

From personal experience in benchrest .223 shooting, Hornady produces some fine projectiles and brass, actually, all I use at the moment.

Looking at pictures of the LNL stuff, especially the presses, they look complex and hard to use but that cou7ld just be me.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

I use a lot of their bullets. I sort them for bearing surface and weight and shoot them in sorted batches. Bullets work fine but the tools are terrible. The brass is ok to me. If I'm plinking I use the cheapest brass and for target I use Lapua or Norma. Honady falls in between them so I don't use it much. Btw the new Winchester brass is really , really bad.