Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Buying the right equipment the first time? Advise wanted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
I use a RCBS 10-10. It is a middle of the road quality scale and it doesn't break the bank. There are many others and the sky is the limit on price, this is just my choice and it does the job i need it to do.
Thanks ill look into it.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Thanks ill look into it.
Ive got a 10-10 along with my RCBS electric measure / charger. I bought my 10-10 back in about??...1974 or so
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Midsouth Shooters suppply had the co-ax press back in stock tuesday. I get 90% of my supplies for them. Usually have the best price and ship same day most of the time. They are out of stock often but they get it back in quickly. Natchez supply is my other go to source.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
Ok. I see how you make it work now. For me, I use wet lube and electronic scales (along with RCBS 10-10 to spot check the electronic scale weights) and other things that wouldnt work for me in an open air environment. Probably doesn't make my loads any better, just the way that I load them. I am thinking about going to a seat at the range setup where I seat the bullets long at home then seat them to the depth I need them to be at the day of the match on the range.

Honestly, I never like doing that (jamming bullets), but I also know a lot of people do it all the time. If I'm doing ball powders, I never bother to check the weight because I know it's there. Long grained stuff is a different ball game.
gary
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Get a catalog from Sinclair International (or spend some time on the web site) and you will find many of your answers. Hart is another source to consider if you are really serious about precision.

If you want a progressive metallic case loader, Dillon is the only option IMHO.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

The Sinclair oal gauge is nice and more accurate than the Hornady,if you are using their generic size brass,not matching your chamber.I like their vld type chamferer also,it helped get my run out truer.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Wait a second.....................

Read the thread title..."Buying the Right Equipment the First Time"........

The OP stated he was going to load one cartridge, a Winchester Short Mag. Here you are suggesting a complete reloading bench with all the gee-gaw stuff when all he needs to start out is a set of Lee Classic Dies, some primers and a bottle of powder.

Keep It Simple, learn the basics and progress from there. The Lee Classic will allow him to start reloading for under 50 bucks, powder and primers included.

I have a set in 223 and I use them at the range, right on the bench. A mallet and dies and you are good to go.....

Let him crawl before walking and walk before running. Bumping shoulders, trimming and headspacing comes later on....

If he wanted to step up a notch he could keep the mallet and get Wilson's.

Funny thing, I don't have an electronic scale or an automated powder dispenser, I have a good old beam scale and I weigh my charges. It's supposed to be relaxing and fun to reload not automated drudgery.