Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bushing Dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Re: Bushing Dies?

Thanks for all the great information.

Do you guys ever have trouble with the bullets wanting to chamber with only using the lee collet neck sizing dies? Or around how many loads do you average before having to run the cartridge through a body die?

I was under the assumption I would be better off full length resizing for my hunting rounds.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I remove the expander and use a bushing calculated to leave my ID .002" undersize relative to the bulet OD not accounting for springback
Whenever you pull brass from a sizing die, it's going to immediately springback to counter your sizing. You can calculate it, predict it, & you'll see it.

Blanko, the number of cycles before shoulder bumping or body sizing is 'required' for good chambering, depends on cartridge design, your chamber tolerances, and your load pressures.
You might have to body size everytime, or never. Just have to measure & keep an eye on it.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Whenever you pull brass from a sizing die, it's going to immediately springback to counter your sizing. You can calculate it, predict it, & you'll see it.
Mikecr,

I understand that. But, I have also been told that some tiny amount of additional springback will occur overnight.

I may have misconstrued that or taken it out of context. So, I'll check that again. If that's even true, then it too is probably predictable as well.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I may try the precision ground K&M Expandiron Mandrels. I hear they're very good especially on new brass before neck turning.

I don't even use the expander when neck sizing fired brass with the proper bushing.
that's pretty much the system you use with a Wilson die. There is no expander, so it's very important that the neck O.D. be very round. I don't expand my neck I.D.s when turning necks, but that's just my method. I made several mandrels out of hardened A2 drill rod in different sizes. Ground them, and then polished them to get a light slip fit (A2 takes forever to polish!)
gary
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Richard, you're right that brass continues to creep after taking energy.
It does so everywhere it took energy. Shoulders,, webs,, necks,, pockets.
It just won't be as much as it's immediate response.