Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bushing Dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Bushing Dies?

I am new to this forum and having been getting quite a bit of information just searching through the posts. But I have a quick questions about full length resizing dies that I haven't been able to find an answer for. Thanks for all the info, neat website you have here.

Does it make that much of a difference on accuracy if you use the bushing dies or just the standard resizing dies?

I full length resize anyway and was wondering if having less neck tension on the bullet make for more accurate rounds?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bushing Dies?

I for one love the bushing dies, but I've been called OCD on more than one occasion. I'm one to try anything to squeeze out a little more accuracy. The bushing dies are a very easy way to change neck tension, a little pricey but so is everything else. Usually you need to turn your necks to get the correct use of your bushing die.

Hope this helps,
Nathan
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I for one love the bushing dies, but I've been called OCD on more than one occasion. I'm one to try anything to squeeze out a little more accuracy. The bushing dies are a very easy way to change neck tension, a little pricey but so is everything else. Usually you need to turn your necks to get the correct use of your bushing die.

Hope this helps,
Nathan
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

I find it easier and just as effective to use a body die and a Lee Collet Neck Sizer die.

The Lee collet die usually gives about 1- to 1.5 thou of "tension" and that's as much real bullet grip you gonna get no matter how much smaller the necks start out. Smaller necks only give you increased seating pressure and more bullet runout.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

+1 on what Boomtube says.
I get consistant ammo with the same set-up with no neck turning.

Lee Collect Neck Sizing dies can be adjusted for neck tension.

To see how, go to ammosmith.com and look for the tutorial on Lee Collect Neck Sizing dies ( I believe there are two parts).
Mcmillan Varmiter
Bushnel XRS scope
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Thank you guys for the information.

Has anyone noticed that when they went from regular sizing dies to the bushing or collet dies it improved the accuracy of the load they were shooting?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Bushing dies improve accuracy only when you have the correct bullet tension. Measure the diameter of a loaded round, then deduct about .002". Select three bushings - one on each side of that measurement. Experiment with those three, keeping everything else in your load the same. One of them should produce better accuracy than the others. I don't use collet dies. Send $70 and two fired cases to Lynwood Harrell, and he will make a F/L bushing die exact fit for your chamber.