Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bushing Die *head explode*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bushing Die *head explode*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexkid View Post
I got the Forster Bump die that comes with 3 bushings. Of course I still ended up buying a different size when it was all said and done!!?? I was looking at the Redding bump dies but...If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that Redding copied Forster's idea when Forster's patent ran out.
Redding copied Forster's seater design, and added about 33% to the price tag. Forster sells a .308 national match die set, and if the chamber is similar then that would be my direction. Yet if the OP plans on using a no turn setup while neck sizing, he might be better off with the Lee Collet die and a Forster seater. Myself, I do all my neck sizing with Wilson dies and an arbor press.
gary
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

*edit* Never mind answer is in another post earlier in the thread sorry.

Got my die and lapua brass in. Do i just seat a .308 bullet into a case and measure the OD of the neck to determine my bushing size?

Is it as simple as that?

I have lee collet dies in some other calibers trickymissfit I am going to full length size for this gun though every time.

I am hoping to send my die off to redding along with the reamer print once I have some fire formed cases and let them hone my die to match my chamber. If they will even do that i know i read somewhere that other die makers do.

Last edited by Bishop; 07-31-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
*edit* Never mind answer is in another post earlier in the thread sorry.

Got my die and lapua brass in. Do i just seat a .308 bullet into a case and measure the OD of the neck to determine my bushing size?

Is it as simple as that?

I have lee collet dies in some other calibers trickymissfit I am going to full length size for this gun though every time.

I am hoping to send my die off to redding along with the reamer print once I have some fire formed cases and let them hone my die to match my chamber. If they will even do that i know i read somewhere that other die makers do.
I like the Forster full length die better than the other brands, as the necks seem a little more concentric. Have never seen a full length die that used bushings, that worked as well as claimed it would.

As for the bushing size, do it this way: measure the neck wall thickness and multiply it times two. Then measure the bullet O.D., and add the two sums together. I'd start by subtracting .003". This will give you your correct bushing size for .003" bullet grip. Some folks like .004", and others like .002". To get something like .0035", you'll have to shave .0005" off the neck diameter. A caliper is not accurate enough to measure the neck wall thickness, and you really need a pin micrometer to do this. Another way is to get the Sinclair case micrometer. This is the way I do it.
gary