Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bumping Shoulders Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bumping Shoulders Issue

Maybe this will clear it up a little better.

There are many different types of dies and some are designed to size to SAAMI specs
ONLY . The way you have to use them for bumping the shoulder is to grind or swap the
shell holder until you can move the shoulder.

Another type of die is the small base die. They are made for sizing smaller than SAMMI
specs. They are used primarily for full autos and dangerous game so they will chamber
under all conditions without fail.

There are also dies that can be set at any length to help fit your chamber as best you
can,And one brand that I know of that is this type is the Hornady New Dimension dies
and these have to be set without seating against the shell holder.

And the other type of dies are the custom dies made from your reamer specs or a loaded
round for custom throats and shoulders.

You can sometimes make small adjustments beyond the dies intended use but it is best
to buy the right dies for the job intended.

I hope this answered your questions

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

statjunk,
FL dies are capable of being adjusted all the way down to the shell holder to resize the whole case (FL) or adjusted upwards to only bump the shoulder or upwards farther to only resize the neck.
The case that you use should have been fired in your rifle. Before you start this process put it in your rifle and close the bolt (I'm assuming this is a bolt action rifle). When you start pushing the bolt down you should feel some/slight resistance to closing
To better see my progress when I'm neck resizing or bumping the shoulder, I first lube the case inside and out. Taking care not to get too much lube on the shoulder, thus preventing ripples in the shoulders. Then I use a bic lighter to smut up the case from the top of the case down to the bottom of the shoulder/body junction.
You may be able to turn that lock nut over on the die so the rubber o-ring is facing up and outta the picture for the time being.
I then get the die started in the press and repeatedly run the case up in the die until I start seeing the smut starting to get rubbed off by the die. The case becomes shiney whenever it touches the internal parts of the die. I keep screwing the die down until I get the neck resized and the shoulder bumped back. You'll know when the shoulder gets bumped because not only will the smut be smeared or rubbed off in spots but it will also chamber in your rifle much easier than it did originally.
Note: once I get the neck resized and I'm trying to bump the shoulder also, I start checking the case in my rifle's chamber more often. If I have to re-smut the case again I will. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

- Ronald Reagan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

I feel like I'm hung up on the fact that I have this mic now and I want to use it.

Here is one part of the process that I don't quite understand. I put a piece of fire formed brass in the press and sent it to the top. I then started the FL die down over the brass and it stopped 1/2-3/4" above where I would normally set the die when FL sizing. What stopped the die? Did it hit the shoulder? Or did it stop at the neck?

I'm going to experiment tonight my sooting the brass and see if the die is even hitting the shoulder.

Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statjunk View Post

Here is one part of the process that I don't quite understand. I put a piece of fire formed brass in the press and sent it to the top. I then started the FL die down over the brass and it stopped 1/2-3/4" above where I would normally set the die when FL sizing. What stopped the die? Did it hit the shoulder? Or did it stop at the neck?

Tom

is the decapping pin hitting the old primer ?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

No it woudn't punch the old primer out. Had to dial it down.

Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Ok did another experiment today. I took to pieces of fire formed brass. I measured them with the mic and they are .002 over saami. I put one in the ram and sent it to the top. I started the FL die down onto the brass and it stopped. I lowered the ram and dialed the die down a very small amount. Operated the ram sending the brass into the die and it met almost no resistance. I measured the brass with the mic and no change.

I did this over and over and over again moving the die in small increments and I didn't see any change whatsoever. I continued to make sure that the die wouldn't hand tighten down onto the brass at any point as though it were hung up on something.

At some point I could see the mark on the brass where the die was neck sizing it. So I pulled out the neck sizer and sized the brass removing the old primer.

I put the brass back on the press and operated it again in small increments. It wasn't until the bottom of the die was even with the underside of the press that I saw a change and the brass started to get longer. The mic indicated that the brass was .003 over saami. As I dialed the die down it just kept getting longer, .004 and .005. It wasn't until the die hit the shell holder that it made a change and it went all the way down to -.004 under saami. So there was a .008 change in the size of the brass. I was like wtf.

So I took the other piece of fire formed brass, that hadn't been in the press and measured it again, just to cover my arse. It was .002 over saami. I sent into the press expecting it to be -.004 under saami and to my surprise there was no change. Still .002 over saami.

I just stopped right there.

Does anyone know what is going on with my set up? Are my dies not set up properly?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Can you post some pictures of what you are doing?