Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bumping Shoulders Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bumping Shoulders Issue

UUUUUUUUUUUuGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! This has got to be the most expensive hobby in the freakin world. WTF

Ok let me start at the top. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I feel that enough people responded that in due time I will solve this problem.

Some one mentioned that not all sizer can bump. I think I may have one of those. When using my full length sizer normally it pushes up against the shell holder and there is some play in the die as sleeve moves up into the die body. Is this one of those type of sizers? The kind that can't be used to bump?

A body die, does that simply move the shoulder back and nothing else? Do you then use a neck sizing die to adjust the neck?

To those that have said that I'm moving the die too much, I don't think I can be as precise as I need to be if I need to move in 32nd or 64ths with these lee dies because of the rubber o-ring. Are you guys easily able to move in such small increments with your dies?

Thanks to all.

Tom
Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

I also use a Redding the body die to bump the shoulder and resize the case a minimal amount. To set it up for a .002" bump on the shoulder I use the following procedure.

1. I take a case fire formed in my firearm. The case should be a tight fit so that it's as close as possible to chamber dimensions.
2. Set the case in the Digital Headspace Gauge and zero the gauge. Here's the link: Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment
3. Insert a .003" shim on the redding body die and screw the die in the press till it's snug on the shellholder. Here's the link for the set of shims:
- Skip's die shim kit - (7/8-14)
4. Resize the case with that set up.
5. Place the case in the Digital Headspace Gauge and get a measurement of the amount of shoulder bump.
6. If the bump measures .005" all you need to do is replace the .003" shim with a .006" shim and you get a .002" bump.

The beauty of this set up is that you don't need to touch the die even if you have multiple guns of the same caliber - you just change the shim in accordance with the bump you need. Also you can use another shim if you want more or less bump.

Occasionnally, you get a minimal dimension chamber where you can only get .001" or less with the body die. When this occurs, I use a dedicated shell holder which I sand on a flat surface to take off .001" or so.

Finally it's a good idea to keep a tight fitting fire formed case in your die box to test your setting with the Headspace Digital Gauge occasionnally.

Much of what I describe here can be applied to a regular full length die.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

StatJunk, you're not using a Redding Comp bushing neck die for this, are you?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

No, I'm using Lee dies.

Can anyone answer the questions I put in my last post?

Is my Lee FL sizer capable of bumping a shoulder?

If using a body die, do you have to use a neck die afterwards to remove the primer and size the neck?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statjunk View Post
UUUUUUUUUUUuGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Some one mentioned that not all sizer can bump. I think I may have one of those. When using my full length sizer normally it pushes up against the shell holder and there is some play in the die as sleeve moves up into the die body. Is this one of those type of sizers? The kind that can't be used to bump?

A neck sizer die will not bump the shoulder back. If you have a FL sizing die it should move the shoulder back to SAMMI specs. I have the Hornady New Dimension dies but am not aware of the claim that it goes beyond SAMMI specs. It does not make sense to me that the die manufacturer would do that.

A body die, does that simply move the shoulder back and nothing else? Do you then use a neck sizing die to adjust the neck?

Yes. Redding makes a body size only die that does not touch the neck, only the webbing and the shoulder. Yes. You would have to use a neck die in conjunction with the body die. I have a couple, they work great.

To those that have said that I'm moving the die too much, I don't think I can be as precise as I need to be if I need to move in 32nd or 64ths with these lee dies because of the rubber o-ring. Are you guys easily able to move in such small increments with your dies?

"Fine tuning" the die setting is a matter of practice. You will be surprised at the small changes you can effect by a very slight die depth setting. As you do more at the bench you will refine your technique just like a lot of us have. You just have to keep at it.

Thanks to all.

Tom

Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
No, I'm using Lee dies.

If using a body die, do you have to use a neck die afterwards to remove the primer and size the neck?

Thanks

Tom
I'm pretty new too but I did this a few weeks back and my Lee FL sizer seems to work fine so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. As others said make REALLY small adjustments as you go. I had the rubber lock ring snugged so you can still turn the die a tiny bit at a time with a bit of resistance.

You said the gauge was giving you readings that seemed to vary unpredictably as you moved the die, can you describe what exactly happens on your gauge if you start with the die backed right out and keep sizing it and moving it down REALLY slowly until it finally touches the shell holder (all the way down)?

Assuming you start with the die backed out far enough, mine always grow longer as the die comes down at first, the reason apparently being because the body on the sides is squeezed and this causes the length to grow a bit. Then when the die is down far enough it will finally start to bump the shoulder back. Maybe that's what you were seeing if you were making large adjustments that took you above and below the zone of shoulder bumping magic (it's not a big zone!!).

Good luck!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
No, I'm using Lee dies.

Thanks

Tom
Yes, your Lee FL sizer can bump the shoulder when adjusted properly.

A body die only bumps the shoulder and resizes the case. You also need a neck die to deprime and resize the neck, for example a Lee collet die.