Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

bullet's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 03:29 PM

bullet\'s

Ok Guy's just who do You think makes the best and what do You think of the combined technolgy
Old 07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: bullet\'s

There are many bullet makers, I would have to say Sierra has a an excellent selection of long range bullets with excellent BC. For explosive type bullets, I would go with the Hornady V-MAX or Nosler Ballistic Tips. Lupa and Berger also make excellent bullets. The best way to figure out what bullet is good for your rifle, is to shoot them.
Good luck with your choice.

Wildcat
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

Best for What. I like BT and Hollow points for varmit and pred. For big game I like the swift scirocco and nosler accubond.
That's about as close as I can get you without more info like cal, intended use,etc.
Onthe combined tech bullets, I don't like any of the coated bullets. The moly or lubalox. The bullet itself is fine depending on it's use.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

My favorite bullet is the Nosler Partition. I get the same "explosiveness" as any other lead tipped bullet, but I also get 65-70% weight retention every time. I have shot deer with them as high as 3500 fps impact velocities, and they have always exited. Even shooting a doe at 500 yards, the 150 gr NP out of a 300 WM went through the hip, all the innards, three cervical vertebrae and out the neck. Can't ask for more than that.

That is the longest shot I have ever attempted/made. With the exception of my current .270, aka my red-butted step-child, all my rifles have shot NPs easily under 1 MOA with little work. Most will hold 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, and that correlates to 75% of all my shots.

Second choice would be Barnes X followed by Nosler Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds then Sierra Game-Kings.

I am not a fan of Combined Technology stuff just yet. Do not care at all for the coating on them.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

My all round favorite is probally the Sierra Matchking since it's cheap, accurate at long range, expands and penetrates well and dosen't destroy too much meat.
But really my favorite depends on the use....
Targets - Lapua Scenar
Exploading bunnys - HDY V-Max
Medium game - Sierra Matchking
Big Game - Woodleigh Protected Points
But for hunting anything 'oversized' for the caliber i'm packing (eg. deer w/ .224) Barnes X-bullets are my first choice.

I've only tryed the CT bullets in 168gr BST Win Supreme factory rounds. The bullet itself would no doubt be great for small deer like Fallow but it seemed to take forever to clean my barrel after 20 rnds. Personally i'd rather the uncoated Nosler Ballistic tips.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: bullet's

What ever BopsEM and FlopsEM. I never gave much thought I always used Sierra 150 grain spitzers in my 30 Caliber guns, even took a 350# Black Bear with them. Since joining several sights I became more aware of the difference in bullets. I don't hunt anymore not that I wouldn't like too but the Ol' Bones won't let me anymore. Not complaining I have done my share of hunting with better than average success. But I now do mainly paper punching and I have started using Berger bullets, Have no idea how they would act on game but as for accuracy they are great and the Berger company seems to take better than average quality control which prompted other companies to make better bullets. Now as I'm concernjed what ever your rifle likes and works well in Hunjting is the one to go with. I recently bought 500 bullets in a box that were destined for down under but Sierra had an over run, sold them reasonable and they shoot really great, they are 55 grain .224 spitzer bullets. From what I understand they were made strikly for Austrailan hunters I wonder what game they were meant to be for? Well Good Luck with ever way you go. Happy holidays. Lou
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Ok Guy's just who do You think makes the best and what do You think of the combined technolgy

That question is so vague I am not sure it has any real meaning. Many of the bullets out there are in the "best" category, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

With all things considered, I shoot Hornady Amax bullets in every caliber I load for. The Amax has high BC, is relatively inexpensive, seems to be forgiving on seating depth and it kills very efficently at most any range. Some guys hate the Amax and will tell you not to hunt with them but my experience with them has been very positive.