Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Bullet Sorting Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

Bullet Sorting Question

I just weighed 1,000 Berger 300g VLD's and have them grouped in the following buckets:

How many of you guys then go through and measure the bullet bearing surface and then sort each group (300.0, etc.) by bearing surface? I have a Berger Bullet Seating stem in my Redding Competition Seating Die and was curious if there is any reason to go through this extra step. I know it can't hurt but don't know if it it is worth the time and effort for the amount of benefit.

Welcome your thoughts.

ALSO .... If there is something else i should be doing that i am not, very open to that as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet Sorting Question

I like shootin' and messing with numbers.

First thought is bullet weight is proportional to bullet weight which is "usually" proportional to bearing surface length.

One or the other method should be decent enough.

For shootin' tests I'd have fun with the following:

Sort brass to same weight.
Weight powder as usual.
Load one round with each bullet weight. (8 loads)
Seat each with same base to ogive length.
Arrange 8 targets @ 200 yds to be able to shoot 1 shot at each target.
Keep shade over the rifle and shoot with sufficient between shots to cool barrel.
Chrono each shot.

Carefully assess all information.

My guess that you won't see much of a trend in any given direction.

But hey it was fun and you'll know that you know.

Have fun
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

That does sound like a fun time - after i pack my elk out

I did just purchase a new powder balance that is accurate to .005 of a grain (Sartorious GD503) so now I won't have to wonder if the standard RCBS Charge Master be pay $900 for a scale just to measure powder is beyond me - well, not really.

Here's my buddy AJ's video on his new powder scale.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'm gonna be watching for how this goes for you.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

I posted this on another Board a while back and it makes sense here:

Good question-----first I measure the total length of the bullets and sort then in 2 thousandth increments.
2nd I use the John Buhay ogive checker and measure each batch by the thousandth
3rd when Speedy closed the shop I bought his point up die for the 6.5 142 SMK and I point up the bullets

I then load and keep the rounds segregated by the above sort criteria for example I sorted 500 bullets last night and had 7 bags by total length. Tonight I will use the Buhay gauge to sort further and then will point up and load---time consuming yes but it pays off in the end.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

I've never seen any need to sort bullets and cases to the Nth degree. With a 190 and 200 grain bullet weight spreads of 4/10ths grain, length and ogive datum spreads of near 10/1000ths inch, 230 grain case weight spreads of 4 grains and even using new, virgin unprepped brass, my 30 caliber magnums had no problems shooting 15-shot test groups at 1000 yards of well under 7 inches.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I posted this on another Board a while back and it makes sense here:

Good question-----first I measure the total length of the bullets and sort then in 2 thousandth increments.
2nd I use the John Buhay ogive checker and measure each batch by the thousandth
3rd when Speedy closed the shop I bought his point up die for the 6.5 142 SMK and I point up the bullets

I then load and keep the rounds segregated by the above sort criteria for example I sorted 500 bullets last night and had 7 bags by total length. Tonight I will use the Buhay gauge to sort further and then will point up and load---time consuming yes but it pays off in the end.
Not sure i understand why you would measure bullets by the true over all length since the bullet tip never touches anything. The pointing or trimming of the meplat may have some merit but i don't know if i have the patience to do that. Different strokes for different folks they say.